User User name Password  

Monday 30.9.2024 / 09:27
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
bluesbabe
_
25. May 2013 @ 13:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by omegaman7:
+R discs clearly have better burn quality. Which suggests better longevity, assuming of course one takes care of their discs. However, I have not had a problem with -R discs. If I saved a dollar going with -R taiyo yuden discs, I would not hesitate. I've read mixed reviews about -R verbatims. But if you have an excellent burner, I would not worry too much ;) My NEC Optiarcs are A-MAZ-ING! The same goes for my LG BD burners. Which apparently their chips come from the same company :)
Your NEC is no longer available. Is there any way to find a new version? And what's the "BD" in LG BD stand for? I'm pulling a blank...

Oh, duh. Blueray discs..... Not an issue for me.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 25. May 2013 @ 13:05

Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
25. May 2013 @ 13:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm simply saying, that a TRUE NEC drive, with a NEC chip, is a trustworthy drive. Certainly in my experience. I haven't looked for NEC Optiarcs for some time. I'm a bit out of the loop concerning NEC dvd burners.

My newest is a NEC 7261S. The 7200, 7240, and 7260 series are EXCELLENT! I believe the 7220's were rebadged lite-ons. NOT the same quality in my opinion.

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 25. May 2013 @ 13:44

AfterDawn Addict
_
25. May 2013 @ 14:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I haven't used Verbatim in some time because most have been CMag crap . . I was told by a neighbor that the +R Verbatim discs recently have been RITEK which the discs I purchased turned out to be. For $14.99/100 they were definitely worth the purchase . . however, if I could find Taiyo Yuden (either - or +) for $20 or so/100, I wouldn't even have considered the Verbs . . .

As far as + or - R . . if all of your equipment is less than 5 or 6 years old, you really won't see any difference

. . . but gamers seem to prefer -R for what it's worth

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
25. May 2013 @ 14:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes, -R for Wii seems to be the consensus. I prefer a flash drive/hard drive for the wii myself :p

I'm slowly moving to hard drive for everything. Since their failure rate seems to be substantially lower than burnable media. In my testing anyway...

AfterDawn Addict
_
25. May 2013 @ 14:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm using Optiarcs NEC and they love the JVC TY +R-just threw away some Memorex -Rs that were not having much success. A burner did go out and has been replaced but I was just using them for giveaways. I have switched to the CMCMag +R Verbatim Datalife series and burning them at X16 on the fly with no problem.Office depot used to use the Ritexs and I liked the CMCs better You can get Datalife for less than $18usd/100 everyday at Sams. Yesterday I bought another 100. Some guy had a whole case- so he was satisfied. Should have asked what he was burning for.Ones I keep are Sony or JVC TYs +R booktyped to DVD-ROMs. I burn them at 8X for the Sonys and 12-16X for JVCs.

Hello old friend Oman 7. Don't lurk here much any more.

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
25. May 2013 @ 14:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey there bud!

Yeah, I generally don't have problems with any media on the NEC's. EXCELLENT burners ;) I typically don't go over 12X. 8X for Ritek media.

_
25. May 2013 @ 14:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:
I haven't used Verbatim in some time because most have been CMag crap . . I was told by a neighbor that the +R Verbatim discs recently have been RITEK which the discs I purchased turned out to be. For $14.99/100 they were definitely worth the purchase . . however, if I could find Taiyo Yuden (either - or +) for $20 or so/100, I wouldn't even have considered the Verbs . . .

As far as + or - R . . if all of your equipment is less than 5 or 6 years old, you really won't see any difference

. . . but gamers seem to prefer -R for what it's worth

Sorry to hear you have been having problems with your Verb's, I just checked my newest one's I bought a couple of months ago from Supermediastore.com, they come up as Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. ID as MCC, I have not had any Verbs come up as cmag crap in years, I have ordered them from different sources threw the years not just SMS plus have bought in stores like OfficeMax and Sam's Club, I never got caught with any cmags, and hope I do not get caught with my new order with the link you provided,I stay away from cmags like the plague, even the one's I bought at Sam's which were made in India never came out as cmags, anyway as far as I know hardly anybody has Verb's for less than $25 per 100 +R's which is all I use unless I find a great deal on Ty's which is few and far between, most places sell Verb's for 30 or over now per hundred, anyway I will check the moment they come in and let everybody know.
_
25. May 2013 @ 14:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by garmoon:
I'm using Optiarcs NEC and they love the JVC TY +R-just threw away some Memorex -Rs that were not having much success. A burner did go out and has been replaced but I was just using them for giveaways. I have switched to the CMCMag +R Verbatim Datalife series and burning them at X16 on the fly with no problem.Office depot used to use the Ritexs and I liked the CMCs better You can get Datalife for less than $18usd/100 everyday at Sams. Yesterday I bought another 100. Some guy had a whole case- so he was satisfied. Should have asked what he was burning for.Ones I keep are Sony or JVC TYs +R booktyped to DVD-ROMs. I burn them at 8X for the Sonys and 12-16X for JVCs.

Hello old friend Oman 7. Don't lurk here much any more.
Your lucky Garmoon, our Sams Club here near Philly have not carried Verb's for almost a year now, I keep bitching every time I go there, it's always Oh we might get them soon, waiting almost a year is not soon to me.
bratcher
_
25. May 2013 @ 15:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've been using Verbatim non hub printable -R's that I get from Microcenter & they have an MCC mid code. Not Ritek or CMC. Never had a problem with CMC though I steer clear of Ritek.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
25. May 2013 @ 15:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I try to avoid Ritek, because my first experience with them, had splotches on multiple disc dyes. That should tell people about their quality control. I bought some TDK's a while back, and they are Ritek F16. I only used them for other peoples burns. 8X seemed to yield agreeable burns. Don't know about longevity. Scratches yield an unplayable disc, depending on the reader. My nieces have taiyo yuden discs that look fairly bad, and still play well. Because of their burn quality, the readers don't have to struggle. Just an observation. Verbatims yield similar results.

bratcher
_
25. May 2013 @ 15:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I try to avoid Ritek, because my first experience with them, had splotches on multiple disc dyes. That should tell people about their quality control. I bought some TDK's a while back, and they are Ritek F16. I only used them for other peoples burns. 8X seemed to yield agreeable burns. Don't know about longevity. Scratches yield an unplayable disc, depending on the reader. My nieces have taiyo yuden discs that look fairly bad, and still play well. Because of their burn quality, the readers don't have to struggle. Just an observation. Verbatims yield similar results.
I left Ritek after whatever dye they were using went bad (unreadable disc) within 6 months of burning the disc & I haven't trusted Ritek since. It was a well known problem that Ritek had several years ago.....
bluesbabe
_
25. May 2013 @ 19:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

My newest is a NEC 7261S. The 7200, 7240, and 7260 series are EXCELLENT!
I may have tracked one down. Is there any kind of protective case these could go into?
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
25. May 2013 @ 19:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Could? I suppose you can put them in an external enclosure. I have my Lite-on LH20A1S in an enclosure. I only ever use it for scanning. I have 6 bays for optical drives. But I have 9 drives in total :S

bluesbabe
_
25. May 2013 @ 19:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Could? I suppose you can put them in an external enclosure. I have my Lite-on LH20A1S in an enclosure. I only ever use it for scanning. I have 6 bays for optical drives. But I have 9 drives in total :S
I only have a laptop. I need to find some way to use the drive. I can't just hook it up, the way it is, can I? I need to treat it as an external drive.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
25. May 2013 @ 19:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I also use something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152
You don't necessarily need an enclosure. You can get them cheaper too by the way.

AfterDawn Addict
_
25. May 2013 @ 22:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes, -R for Wii seems to be the consensus. I prefer a flash drive/hard drive for the wii myself :p

I'm slowly moving to hard drive for everything. Since their failure rate seems to be substantially lower than burnable media. In my testing anyway...
I've been putting everything on 1TB Hitachi Touro mobile hard drives for some time now . . I purchased 7 at Office Max a while ago for $59 each (what a deal!)

Mostly my DVDs go to my kids, grandkids and my wife . . you know, people who aren't careful enough to handle my hard drives . . .

Next time Office Max has the drives on sale, I'll buy them out again . . .

Have a safe holiday people

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
bratcher
_
26. May 2013 @ 08:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:

I've been putting everything on 1TB Hitachi Touro mobile hard drives for some time now . . I purchased 7 at Office Max a while ago for $59 each (what a deal!)

Mostly my DVDs go to my kids, grandkids and my wife . . you know, people who aren't careful enough to handle my hard drives . . .

Next time Office Max has the drives on sale, I'll buy them out again . . .

Have a safe holiday people
've been storing everything on 3 terabyte external hard drives for the last 2 years now & they have come out with 4 terabyte external hard drives so I'll get one or tow when my last 3 terabyte hard drive fills up like the other two are almost full. Beats burning & storing DVD's that's for sure!!
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
26. May 2013 @ 15:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bratcher:

've been storing everything on 3 terabyte external hard drives for the last 2 years now & they have come out with 4 terabyte external hard drives so I'll get one or tow when my last 3 terabyte hard drive fills up like the other two are almost full. Beats burning & storing DVD's that's for sure!!
Just be sure you have redundant arrays. More than one copy. When a 3Tb drive falls flat on it's face, that would be VERY upsetting LOL! Haven't personally had a failure in anything younger than 9yrs old.

bratcher
_
26. May 2013 @ 15:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Just be sure you have redundant arrays. More than one copy. When a 3Tb drive falls flat on it's face, that would be VERY upsetting LOL! Haven't personally had a failure in anything younger than 9yrs old.
Yes I see your point but external hard drive seem to be pretty reliable these days. But hard drives do wear out as I had to replace an internal hard drive that was starting to fail (No I didn't loose any data) after 4 or 5 years of use.
bratcher
_
26. May 2013 @ 15:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Yes I see your point but external hard drive seem to be pretty reliable these days. But hard drives do wear out as I had to replace an internal hard drive that was starting to fail (No I didn't loose any data) after 4 or 5 years of use.
bluesbabe
_
26. May 2013 @ 17:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I also use something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152
You don't necessarily need an enclosure. You can get them cheaper too by the way.
Would any connector of this type work, or are there versions out there that are just plain junk? Maybe you can recommend a few brand names to aim for? For example?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812705172

Also, I found both both the 7260 and the 7261. Which is better?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. May 2013 @ 17:34

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
26. May 2013 @ 17:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I think the (1) has lightscribe, where the (0) does not. Don't quote me though. There were 62's and 63's too. Not sure what their differences are. As long as they have NEC chips, you should be good.

The reviews for the Rosewill are pretty good.

I've used the following ones:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189169
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107114 This one is my favorite. Though only IDE capable.

Can't seem to find the other one I have, but they all work pretty good. No faults.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. May 2013 @ 17:35

bluesbabe
_
26. May 2013 @ 18:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107114 This one is my favorite. Though only IDE capable.
LOL But it's an SATA drive.....

Thanks, tho, for the help.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. May 2013 @ 18:29

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
26. May 2013 @ 18:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The other I listed is Sata/IDE. I haven't had any troubles with either of them. One I gave to a buddy.

Advertisement
_
__

_
TreePro
_
29. November 2013 @ 05:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Newegg has Verbatim +r AZO 100 pack 95098 for $14.99 limit 5 until 11:59 tonight 11/29/13 Pacific Time. Promo code EMCWWVL29
Free shipping too, been awhile since Verbatim been this cheap.
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/No...10&et_rid=22725
******Received disc's today 12/2/13, all 5 spindles was MCC-004 made in Taiwan******

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. December 2013 @ 20:13

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork