User User name Password  

Monday 30.9.2024 / 07:34
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
6. October 2011 @ 11:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The main reason I use +Rs is to book type them to DVD-ROMs as the store bought are. But your ODD must be capable of book typing. I'm also burning the good stuff at 16X TY,Verbs,Sonys. Also doing giveaway TDKs in On the fly mode @16X so far no problems Opti7240S)
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
6. October 2011 @ 12:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Love those optiarcs Garmoon. Can you believe I haven't had one go south? Unreal! NEC has a fan for life! No $ony, not you, just NEC. :p

Silver printables are incredible bluesbabe! I save those for special projects. I also use watershield printables and Semigloss printables. I like all three. The silver printables have a metallic quality about them when finished. Wayyyy better than litescribe! Do people still use those? :S

Some devices Prefer +R's, others -R's. YOu have to make that determination.

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
bluesbabe
_
6. October 2011 @ 12:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks, both of you. So the silver or the white both work fine, no difference? And I'm surprised to hear Garmoon burns at 16X- I always thought I read people cautioning to burn slowly. My machine won't book type to rom, so that's off the table. But is there any other benefit to either +r or -r?
bratcher
_
6. October 2011 @ 12:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bluesbabe:
I haven't been here in awhile, and I need to buy some TY blank media. Could someone give me 2 quick opinions-
1) I generally use -r's, is there any good reason to use +r's instead? I need to make a few DVD's that will play in a stand alone player.
2) I have been using 16X (and burning at 8X), and I'm shopping for more, so before I buy, does anyone recommend a different speed media, and if so, why? Or for that matter is the burn speed all that's important?

PS One more question- silver or white printable. Any difference?
-R will work fine in a standalone DVD player.

8X media is a little cheaper than 16x media but the choice is up to you. The last batch of TY silver inkjet media I bought from Meritline was 8x & I'm burning it at 8x.

No quality difference between silver or white inkjet printable. It just looks different. try of 50 or 100 pack of silver inkjet printable for yourself & find out which surface you like best.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
6. October 2011 @ 12:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Bluesbabe, perhaps I'll print a silver today, and show you the difference. Some drives can print the 8X at 12 and 16X. Taiyo Yuden discs are soo excellent, that they can handle a great deal more speed than the rated. I've seen 24X burns that yielded better results than 16X. That does depend on the burner ;)

You don't want to get the regular printables wet. My silver printables are not water resist, but they look VERY good. Any modern player really shouldn't care about -R vs +R. +R discs simply allow booktyping, so it will trick some devices into believing it's an industry -Rom disc.

I burn the 8X discs at 8X. They yield some of the best burn quality I've seen.

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
6. October 2011 @ 15:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I sent you a PM bluesbabe. I don't hesitate to burn at 12X most the time. 16 just seems noisy...

bluesbabe
_
7. October 2011 @ 00:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by omegaman7:
I sent you a PM bluesbabe.
I got it, was dazzled, and replied. How long have that style been in existance, and how old is the oldest one you used? And is it holding up okay?

Good to know about the speeds- I've been doing Verbs, but at reduced speeds. I'll do the TY's faster.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. October 2011 @ 00:47

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
7. October 2011 @ 00:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Depending on your burner, 12X does seem to be the happy medium. My optiarcs have proven themselves excellent burners. The 7241S and 7261S are definitely High speed burners. 16X should be totally doable. I just don't like the noise :S

The watershields have been around for at least a few years. Perhaps 3 - 4, maybe longer. I have Verbatim discs as old as 6 - 7yrs that scan nicely, and rip without slowing down. THat proves they'll last a while longer indeed.

bluesbabe
_
7. October 2011 @ 01:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My optiarcs have proven themselves excellent burners. The 7241S and 7261S are definitely High speed burners.
You've frequently raved about these drives- are they even still available? I've looked around a number of times. How would I find a good one?
bratcher
_
7. October 2011 @ 01:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Depending on your burner, 12X does seem to be the happy medium. My optiarcs have proven themselves excellent burners. The 7241S and 7261S are definitely High speed burners. 16X should be totally doable. I just don't like the noise :S

The watershields have been around for at least a few years. Perhaps 3 - 4, maybe longer. I have Verbatim discs as old as 6 - 7yrs that scan nicely, and rip without slowing down. THat proves they'll last a while longer indeed.
I've done test burns of both TY & Verbatim media at 16x & the DVDInfoprp test seems to be just fine. However I still prefer to burn at 1/2 the rated speed on 16x media which means I burn it at 8x.
bluesbabe
_
7. October 2011 @ 01:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bratcher:
I've done test burns of both TY & Verbatim media at 16x & the DVDInfoprp test seems to be just fine. However I still prefer to burn at 1/2 the rated speed on 16x media which means I burn it at 8x.
good tip. I'll keep it in mind. If the 8X are cheaper, I might go with them, instead. Would I again want reduce by half, or is 8 good, on either speed?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. October 2011 @ 01:25

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
7. October 2011 @ 01:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It all boils down to preference. I've seen what mine can do, and I insist on 12X. But that does depend on the burner, and its yields.

8X Ty's burn VERY VERY good at 8X. You do NOT need to go 4X. I've had poor results with 4X on TYG03 media(16X media). 4X might be ok on 8X media, but I totally swear by 8X on the 8X media. But once again, it depends on the burner.

I think it's quite funny, that Wii backup people insist on 4X. It's ridiculous...(Depending on the media)

My burners are rather old. Not sure if they could be found. If so, they're probably refurbished...

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. October 2011 @ 01:29

bluesbabe
_
7. October 2011 @ 01:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My burners are rather old. Not sure if they could be found. If so, they're probably refurbished...
Is there anything comparable on the market?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. October 2011 @ 03:38

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
7. October 2011 @ 01:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
NEC Chipped optiarcs are definitely good in my book. VERY good. So if you see an Optiarc at newegg, or elsewhere, run a search to see if it has the NEC chip in it. If not, it's probably a rebadged lite-on or some other burner. Lite-on has lost my respect...

bluesbabe
_
7. October 2011 @ 03:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
NEC Chipped optiarcs are definitely good in my book. VERY good. So if you see an Optiarc at newegg, or elsewhere, run a search to see if it has the NEC chip in it. If not, it's probably a rebadged lite-on or some other burner. Lite-on has lost my respect...
I found this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118040
but there is absolutely no info about the chipset anywhere. I've been searching for over an hour.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
7. October 2011 @ 12:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Bluesbabe, this site usually has good info about burners. And as you can see, it is NEC chipped. As well it should be. I have one, and it's an excellent burner. Don't know about reading discs, but it's certainly a very good burner.
Videohelp-7261S

bluesbabe
_
8. October 2011 @ 12:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Bluesbabe, this site usually has good info about burners. And as you can see, it is NEC chipped. As well it should be. I have one, and its an excellent burner. Dont know about reading discs, but its certainly a very good burner.
Videohelp-7261S

Thanks Oman, but, minor little detail: the link I sent is for a AD-7261S-0B, not for a AD-7261S. I dont know if that makes a difference or not. I put the full number in on the link you sent me, and it came up empty.
AfterDawn Addict
_
8. October 2011 @ 22:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
bb sometimes it doesn't recognize the full "details" of the number... I will say this that there was a Lite-On a while back that had the different numbers at the end and it made a difference as to what drive you got... an Optiarc or a Lite-0n... ;)

Hope this helps.... well at least gets us to looking and thinking. lol

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
9. October 2011 @ 02:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just checked newegg from my past purchase. 8/23/10 I bought the AD-7261S-0B. Which is exactly what Bluesbabe linked to me. Imgburn detects the NEC chip in it. And contrary to what some of the negative reviewers say, I say it is an EXCELLENT DRIVE! But I take VERY good care of my stuff. My case is very cooled, and I don't put dirty discs in my drive. I inspect every last one of them :p

Not sure about what the last two characters in the model number mean, but I have that drive, and it is NEC :D Unless they've been replaced by lite-ons. That would be quite underhanded though!

bluesbabe
_
9. October 2011 @ 04:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
...Unless theyve been replaced by lite-ons. That would be quite underhanded though!
Can they do that and still call it a Sony Optiarc? So, does this one have the capability to book type to DVD-rom?

LOL Next problem: Its sata. My desktop isnt. And my laptop is a laptop. adapter? drive enclosure?

PS the burner in my laptop is an Optiarc (AD-7580S FD04). Where in ImgBurn do you find specs on the burner? I have ImgBurn (haven't downloaded the new update yet) but I don't see where it identifies my chipset.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. October 2011 @ 04:25

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
9. October 2011 @ 04:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If I were in your position, I might use something like this, for adapting Sata To USB. As you can see, you could either connect IDE devices, or Sata. I have one. It comes in handy every now and again.

The adapter I bought(identical to this one), came with an AC to Molex adapter. So if you have a Molex to Sata power adapter, you have the adapter you need.

The drive enclosure I have is a Vantec 5.25" optical to usb 2.0 enclosure. I believe Greensman recommended it. I love it LOL!

Manufacturers literally do whatever they want. Until they get caught. I wouldn't think they could legally drastically alter a particular model. I imagine it's the same. I would gamble it ;)

bluesbabe
_
11. October 2011 @ 13:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oman
I think I editted at the same time you were posting, so you missed my last question. Where in ImgBurn do you find info on the burner? I have ImgBurn (haven't downloaded the new update yet) but I don't see where it identifies my chipset. The drive in my Dell laptop is Optiarc, and I want to find out what chipset it has.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 11. October 2011 @ 13:24

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
11. October 2011 @ 13:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
In write mode(burn iso image), in the bottom right corner is a book image. Make sure you have the right burner selected first, and then click on the book. Then click on NEC. If it allows you to change the booktype, then you'll know it's NEC.

bluesbabe
_
21. October 2011 @ 17:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If I were in your position, I might use something like this, for adapting Sata To USB. As you can see, you could either connect IDE devices, or Sata. I have one. It comes in handy every now and again.

The adapter I bought(identical to this one), came with an AC to Molex adapter. So if you have a Molex to Sata power adapter, you have the adapter you need.

Let me make sure I understand theis. If I put the drive in that enclosure, I'm good to go- just connect to a USB.
OR If I wanted to actually install it in my old EIDE desktop, get BOTH items in the pictures???? or just the first one?
Advertisement
_
__

_
bratcher
_
21. October 2011 @ 18:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bluesbabe:
Oman
I think I editted at the same time you were posting, so you missed my last question. Where in ImgBurn do you find info on the burner? I have ImgBurn (haven't downloaded the new update yet) but I don't see where it identifies my chipset. The drive in my Dell laptop is Optiarc, and I want to find out what chipset it has.

Imgburn lets me do the same thing with my Samsung DVD burner but I just leave it alone & it always booktypes +r & +RDL (I don't use RW media) to DVD Rom.

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork