User User name Password  

Monday 30.9.2024 / 03:19
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
7. March 2011 @ 00:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've been burning the Life series. It's ok. I prefer to burn them at 8X, but in a crunch, I don't hesitate to burn at 12X. I've been rationing my UAE verbs. They scan quite nicely. I hope that they remain that way over time. Given how I store my discs(envelopes vertically, climate controlled), I don't see them failing for 10 - 20 easy. But long before that, they'll be archived on probably petabyte drives, or exabyte drives. Depending on technological developments ;)

Keep in mind though, My optiarc drives have proven themselves excellent burners(touch wood). Burners can be picky with one medium and not another. Every drive I've had seems to like TY's and Verbs though. Something worthy of note :D The better the initial burn, the longer the archival. Totally logical...

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
Advertisement
_
__
_
7. March 2011 @ 00:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bluesbabe:
Originally posted by FredBun:
Originally posted by FredBun:
.... longevity is my biggest concern.
Could you discuss this issue at more length, please?
For that matter, what do people mean when they say "good scans"?

OH YUK, I hate doing this again as I have posted in lenght a while back...........

As far as scans that's not my thing............

Well guess what, more than half of my dvd's that are not either ty's or verbs that I burned on more than 5 years ago or so either don't play, skip, freeze etc. ..........
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be a nuisance. You should have just given me a link.

I still don't know what these "scans" are, that people are talking about. Can anyone tell me?

Does anyone know what it is that makes older DVDs not work right?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No need to apologize bluesbabe, pain in the butt or not and I don't care how smart or stupid a question it might be I will answer if I can as long as it's not a smart ass question or comment.

The scan thing I can't help you with that because I don't use it or know much about it, I know what it is and what it does just don't play with it, besides others here already gave you a pretty good answer to that.

I wouldn't worry about a different looking label on those verbs from officemax, like I said before even though some people say verbs quality has fallen I can still say as far as my experiance no matter where I got them from whatever country they were from there were and still are good, the ty's to me are number one and the verb's a close second, you just can't get deals on ty's like verbs per 100 pack for 20 bucks, but that's ok at times I still spend the extra bucks on ty's because in the long run they are diffently worth it, if you don't care about quality or longevity than sure buy the cheapest you want to play around with, but DO NOT mess with the cheap disc's if quality and longevity is important to you.

I have also used verb DL's and RW's also with no problems no matter where they were made. Hope this helps.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. March 2011 @ 00:34

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
7. March 2011 @ 00:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I heard once upon a time, that Taiyo Yuden ALSO produces the DVD-ROM discs that are used by the industry. I don't know if that is true, but given the track record I've had with them, as well as other peoples high praise, I would not doubt it.

I've finally burned one of the TY-BD discs that I mentioned previously. I burned it at the maximum 4X speed. It played back perfectly in my iHES108 drive. I currently do not have a BD player capable of reading LTH discs though. I hope that one day, Samsung releases a firmware for this issue. I prefer the LTH discs. They're cheaper, and I have not had problems with them yet, other than their typically slower burn speeds. Despite the JVC name, the DYE boasts a TY name :D JVC or not, I still call them Taiyo Yuden!

bluesbabe
_
7. March 2011 @ 02:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by greensman:
bluesbabe where are you located?
TY's that still scan in the 90's
older discs from CMC, MCC (verbies)
burn at 8X
stick with AZO Verbies or TY
you can't beat TY, 1st tier if you ask me.
Wow, thanks for the info. I'm USA. Where on earth did you get Verbs delivered for $16??? I'm on lottsa lists, but never saw that one....
Okay, what are these damn scans (give me something to google and I'll do it, cuz I have no idea what you're all talking about),
what is CMC and MCC,
yes, I burn at 8 on a 16,
what is AZO,
and what does first tier mean???
re: DL's, I have not yet burned one successfully (tho I aspire to because I sometimes give copies to other people who do have big TVs). I don't know how to tell the software where to split the video.
Thank you, thank you.
AfterDawn Addict
_
7. March 2011 @ 08:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
bluesbabe where are you located?
TY's that still scan in the 90's
older discs from CMC, MCC (verbies)
burn at 8X
stick with AZO Verbies or TY
you can't beat TY, 1st tier if you ask me.
Wow, thanks for the info. I'm USA. Where on earth did you get Verbs delivered for $16??? I'm on lottsa lists, but never saw that one....
Okay, what are these damn scans (give me something to google and I'll do it, cuz I have no idea what you're all talking about),
what is CMC and MCC,
yes, I burn at 8 on a 16,
what is AZO,
and what does first tier mean???
re: DL's, I have not yet burned one successfully (tho I aspire to because I sometimes give copies to other people who do have big TVs). I don't know how to tell the software where to split the video.
Thank you, thank you.
Meritline.com is my source but they have deals where they only sell 100 at that price. It's something you have to jump on right when you get the email. ;)

Do a search for Nero scans at aD.. that should hook you up... cincyrob is the man on those. ;)

CMC = CMC MAG or CMC Magnetics .. they are a VERY large disc manufacturer

MCC = Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. another big provider of discs and better known as Verbatim normally. ;)

AZO is something developed by MCC I think. (JoeRyan is the better source on all things disc and burner)

tier .. just like it sounds.. a way to measure something.. in this case the better the disc is the better it burns/scans. There are different "ranking" systems or ideas out there but TY and Verbatim always seem to end up tier 1. ;)

Burning DL discs is a science if you ask me. ;) hobbit112 is pretty good at it or maybe Oman but stick with a low burn speed and make dang sure you get good media. Verbatim is a good start with DL discs but some are having success with other makers like Falcon I think. Again a search here at aD might shed some light. ;)

hth.....

#2 disc quality scan thread .... this should help. ;)

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
_
7. March 2011 @ 10:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
bluesbabe,, that's great advise by the greenman, he mentioned joeryan, If I'm not mistaken he used to call himself docty when this thread was started, he is the heavyweight when it comes to disc's, he doesn't visit much anymore like he use to but his knowledge was second to none.

I have been using dl verbs for several years now, I use them often because when I burn my movies I don't like to much compression, thru the years using them I never had a coaster except the one time, even though the disc said a max of 8x which I did set it as I got my first coaster I remember it well because I was pissed as they are more expensive, after that I went back to the 2.4x setting even though some of my dl's were 8x max, most of the one's I buy are 2.4's, but no matter as I kept them on 2.4 I never had another coaster, as also my verb or ty's dvd+r's I never go over 8x no matter what the max speeds are, all my verb or ty's +r's are always rated at max 16x, staying at 8 always did me justice, so the greenman is on the money.
AfterDawn Addict
_
7. March 2011 @ 13:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ditto

2.4X on Verb +R DLs and 8X on the +R ones I keep

16X on the fly for giveaways
AfterDawn Addict
_
7. March 2011 @ 19:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ bluesbabe

If you go through this thread and only read the posts made by JoeRyan,
you will learn more about DVD media than a person has a right to know . . .

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. March 2011 @ 19:02

AfterDawn Addict
_
7. March 2011 @ 21:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:
@ bluesbabe

If you go through this thread and only read the posts made by JoeRyan,
you will learn more about DVD media than a person has a right to know . . .
Agreed. A little tedious trying to find his posts but a good hunt none the less. I'm pretty sure it's not docTY even tho I'd like for it to be. He'll (docTY) prolly NEVER come back and that's a shame as he was a great member and a wonderful source for TY media education and computer knowledge.... he's a smart man.. NOT like the GM... the GM is more like Forrest.. ;)

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
_
8. March 2011 @ 03:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As to storage of media i've found them to be very forgiving of temperature changes. A few years ago i lived on the river and so had to store all my media (blank and burnt) in widely varying temperatures. They were all stored in a cupboard, the bottom 12" or so of which, being on the floor, was actually below the waterline. So in the winter they were incredibly cold, condensation on the discs would appear for a little while when opening the binders (or tubs, the blank discs were also stored under the waterline) and in the summer the boat would heat up like a very hot thing. I'm still (very slowly) getting thru my stocks of blank media bought back then (around 2005, the now rare or non-existant "TY Verbatim" ie Japanese Verbatim on TY discs) and zero problems with any of those, or the burnt discs i stored in binders during that time.

I'm still very happy with my Maxell +R (a mixture of CMC Mag M01 and ROCOHJPNR003 discs, though these days there's very few of the Ricoh's in the mix), when i next have to buy any discs it'll most likely just be whatever Verbatim's are cheapest and wherever i can get Maxell's cheapest. I haven't bought any discs since 2007, up until some months ago i was still burning thru my stocks of blanks like a mad burner but now i use very few, what with moving away from optical discs being as i now prefer the convenience of movies & TV shows in AVI type files, no more hunting thru countless binders to watch a movie.

edit- i used to hate TDK blanks with a passion, what with them using various MID codes, some of which were considered subpar, but these days i don't bother with checking MID codes anymore. At work we buy a lot of TDK printables, and often, both DVD+R's and CDR's, i nor anyone else have any problems with them, and i still have no idea what MID codes they are (we always buy the same ones, granted they might be different MID codes from time to time, however they 'just work' so i don't bother checking MID's).

edit- Can't seem to find many Maxell at my usual suppliers - SVP and Amazon, looks like when i next stock up it'll be tubs of 100 Verbatim (-R, Verbatime code '43549') as they seem to be priced best (in fact they were also priced well back in 2007 when i last bought any - i normally buy large amounts of both -R and +R, i have no real preference for either)

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 8. March 2011 @ 04:17

bluesbabe
_
8. March 2011 @ 12:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Dear Everyone
Thank you all for the wealth of info. I am in fact going to go through all 80 plus pages to read Joeryan posts. That should keep me busy for years.....

I will repost as additional questions come up. I sought out hobbit112, and will see if he responds.

Assorted notes: I'm on meritline's mailing list, and I read them faithfully, and I'm PO'ed I never got anything about a Verb sale. ARRRGGGHH. As to TDK, I've been pleased with the batch I have, but now I know that longevity is equally an issue. Regarding what all this 'scan' business is, I will google, and also see if I can find cincyrob.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
8. March 2011 @ 12:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've used TDK's. I believe they're CMC MAGs. Last time I checked they were good. And there going on 5yrs old. I backed up my star trek Voyager collection to TDK printables, and Sony discs. Given their age, I'll likely be throwing them on hard drive soon. I'll hold on to the discs for a time, to see how long they last. I suspect at least a decade though :p

AfterDawn Addict
_
8. March 2011 @ 18:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Dear Everyone
Thank you all for the wealth of info. I am in fact going to go through all 80 plus pages to read Joeryan posts. That should keep me busy for years.....

I will repost as additional questions come up. I sought out hobbit112, and will see if he responds.

Assorted notes: I'm on meritline's mailing list, and I read them faithfully, and I'm PO'ed I never got anything about a Verb sale. ARRRGGGHH. As to TDK, I've been pleased with the batch I have, but now I know that longevity is equally an issue. Regarding what all this 'scan' business is, I will google, and also see if I can find cincyrob.
Go back to this post and you will find a link to the Scan thread here at aD. ;)

and here just in case you miss it in the text. ;)

AfterDawn Addict
_
8. March 2011 @ 22:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Dear Everyone

Assorted notes: Im on meritlines mailing list, and I read them faithfully, and Im POed I never got anything about a Verb sale. ARRRGGGHH. As to TDK, Ive been pleased with the batch I have, but now I know that longevity is equally an issue. Regarding what all this scan business is, I will google, and also see if I can find cincyrob.
Both MeritLine and SuperMediaStore have great sales on Taiyo Yuden discs . . . the heck with playing the unknown Verb game . . . TYs are TYs, no doubt about it !
AfterDawn Addict
_
8. March 2011 @ 23:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Dear Everyone

Assorted notes: Im on meritlines mailing list, and I read them faithfully, and Im POed I never got anything about a Verb sale. ARRRGGGHH. As to TDK, Ive been pleased with the batch I have, but now I know that longevity is equally an issue. Regarding what all this scan business is, I will google, and also see if I can find cincyrob.
Both MeritLine and SuperMediaStore have great sales on Taiyo Yuden discs . . . the heck with playing the unknown Verb game . . . TYs are TYs, no doubt about it !
Agreed. Very sound advice bluesbabe. ;)

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
9. March 2011 @ 00:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I was skeptical when JVC merged with TY. It doesn't bother me anymore. The discs I've bought with the JVC name are every bit as good as TY of old. Even the BD discs I bought recently, have a TY dye name :D Burn #1 was successful at max speed :D

_
9. March 2011 @ 06:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Dear Everyone

It's nice To see this thread Somewhat Active and atleast fairly Current again ! You know I could'nt get by without atleast one Exclamation point somewhere Right ? especially with so many of the Old Gang though not necessarily Old people posting !!! I may grow old , But i refuse To Grow Up !!! . And For bluesbabe I wish you a Belated welcome aboard as I have'nt checked in here at afterdawn.com lately myself so I am sure I probably missed your Original appearance? but better late than never right ? And Never feel bad about asking a question? Nobody Knows everything , and the only stupid question is the one never asked !! Almost everyone here has been at the place you are now and have both learned from hands on experience and or From Others Here and at other forums !!! And Everyone that I've met / Corresponded with here have been most helpful and supportive when I've had questions or problems. We may Occasionally poke good nature fun at each other atleast some of us anyways but it's just that ! And Never , Never Ever Meant to Be Hurtful, Harmful Or Injurious In anyway !!!! To anyone !!!! Just Follow the Golden Rule Treat Other People Like you would want them to treat you and you'll be just Fine !!! well To our new friend bluesbabe , our Old Friends and to those that we've yet to discover Happy Mardi Gras !!!, Good Morning and See ya's Around the Water Cooler - Peace !!!!!

FeetZ Up ! Head Down !

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. March 2011 @ 06:37

_
9. March 2011 @ 06:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I was skeptical when JVC merged with TY. It doesn't bother me anymore. The discs I've bought with the JVC name are every bit as good as TY of old. Even the BD discs I bought recently, have a TY dye name :D Burn #1 was successful at max speed :D

yeah Omegaman7 I had the same Feelings About That at first myself but Like you I quit worrying and Learned To Love Them Bomb as They say " Dr. Strangelove " I think ? Anyways If I understood the Original story Taiyo Bought The Media End /Divison Of JVC and the Rights to Market Their Media Under The JVC Brand name . Hey I've used Taiyo Yudens That Taiyo Yuden Made {OEM'ED } For Sony and Fuji as well as Their own Name and as long as we're comparing Apples to apples and they work & are just as Good I'm a happy camper !!! They can Call It Really Good stuff Brand if they want to ! What's the old saying The Proof of the Pudding is In the eating ? anyways my .03 cents worth or Less later My friend!!!

FeetZ Up ! Head Down !
AfterDawn Addict
_
9. March 2011 @ 08:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
OT....

@ BT69 .... isn't this a special Wednesday?? What are you doing on here and sober none the less??? LOL. Nice to see you stop by... have a good one buddy. ;)

/OT

The thread may continue... :p

_
9. March 2011 @ 10:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
OT....

@ BT69 .... isn't this a special Wednesday?? What are you doing on here and sober none the less??? LOL. Nice to see you stop by... have a good one buddy. ;)

/OT

The thread may continue... :p
greensman

well For Catholics It's ash wed . No meat Go to church Ect... I Still Occasionally Tiplle a Few now and Then But Think about it Would you Feel safe with a large swamp dwelling Sasquatch Hooting , Hollering and Rowdy Drunk Ruffhousing around Your House ? especiially when you've just Run out of Beer and Snax and the Local Animal Control Officer is Fresh Out of Ketamine { Cat & Sub - Human Primate Tranquilizers } I hate That word ! Sub-Human I mean Not Cats ,Cat's are Alright In my Book unless They're Big ones like Pumas , Lions , Tigers ect... and Gnawing on My Leg !!! Why not Label That stuff { Ketamine Cat & Superior Non-Human Intelligence { sasQuatch !!!} Tranquilizers ? I guess The Little People at the Drug Companies Have to Feel superior don't they ? Anyways Good to be Back or atleast Missed & I'll try to Check in more often Nice hearing from you and all the gang as well ! Put up a few New Rachaels but nobody seems to care anymore ? But To quote Buckaroo Banzai " No matter where you Go ? , There you are !!!? Later Buddy !!!!!

FeetZ Up ! Head Down !
AfterDawn Addict
_
9. March 2011 @ 13:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you got your ashes this am they were washed away in the torrential rains we had. Not only today but Saturday for Spanish Town Parade and Mardi Gras yesterday also. Thoroughly soused in BR.

AfterDawn Addict
_
9. March 2011 @ 13:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A 200 pack of the 'ValueLine' Taiyo Yudens is regularly $46.99 at MeritLine . . .

http://www.meritline.com/jvc-valueline-dvd-r-16x-silver-thermal-lacquer---p-42242.aspx?hq_e=el&hq_m=2157405&hq_l=45&hq_v=9ec8603c55

Right now they're shipped free and here's a coupon code . . .

Originally posted by "MeritLine":
$42.99 w/Code: MLC102751030910NL1 For First 100 Orders

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
bluesbabe
_
9. March 2011 @ 15:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A 200 pack of the 'ValueLine' Taiyo Yudens is regularly $46.99 at MeritLine . . .
Yes, I did indeed see both of those, and already have it in my meritline cart. My only hesitation is, after literally pouring over the posts on aD regarding blank media, I have found that VERY often "TY" is followed by "but not valueline". Can anyone speak to that (quickly)? I'm on hold, and still have my cart up.......
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
9. March 2011 @ 15:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've bought valueline before. But I do prefer the premiums. Premiums go through a rigorous process. The valuelines are simply discards that don't meet the premium expectations. Of the valuelines I bought(hundreds), I only chucked maybe 2 or 3. And that was before burning...

Advertisement
_
__

_
_
9. March 2011 @ 15:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I just checked meritline, I never dealt with them before nor do I use -r, but I checked out thier ty +r for 100 pack $27.99, that is not bad.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. March 2011 @ 15:51

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork