User User name Password  

Monday 30.9.2024 / 05:35
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
bratcher
_
24. April 2011 @ 20:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by omegaman7:
Nothing better than personal experience. I strongly recommend burning at no more than 50% of the discs max speed though. If it can handle 8X, burn at 4X. But this really does depend on the burner too. Trial and error my friend ;)
I don't normally burn any DVD disc (data or video) over 8x as both a precaution plus it has always seemed to be good advice from some fine forum users such as yourself. However I left the speed setting in Imgburn set on 24x by accident (I forgot to set the 8x speed) once when burning a single larer CMC disc for DVD Video & the disc played back just fine in both my Toshiba standalone DVD recorder & my Oppo Blu Ray player. The disc reached it's top speed at 18x which was the highest speed rated for that disc. Kinda surprised me that the video disc played back without any problems on either player however I do keep my hard drive fragmentation level below 10% which I'm sure helped some with the high speed burn.

As to 24x when burning audio CD's from mp3's, flac & ogg files I use discs rated from 48 to 52x speed. Used to burn audio CD's at 16x (which did fine btw) although 32x does great too with my drive.
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
24. April 2011 @ 20:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bluesbabe:
Originally posted by greensman:
Are you using these DL discs for movies, data, music, or what??
Movies, mostly.
(confused because opinions vary...)
I decided to buy a stack and see how they are.
BB.... it's just like cars... some like Fords others like Chevy.. of course there are the richer folk who like the European options.... it's just personal preference and experience that dictates our opinions... I'm NOT a fan of Ritek media but I know those that are and besides I've had decent luck with the DL stuff. NOT like Verbie DL media but hey MIS Verbie DL discs are the BEST. ;)

Oman mentioned personal experience and he's right... it's a very good indicator of how media will perform or work for you.

good luck.... and let us know how you fared.... ;)

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
24. April 2011 @ 21:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I wouldn't always burn at a slow speed though. 4X is not a good idea with with 7240/60 drives on TYG03 media. THat's my findings anyhow. 7240/60 drives are high speed drives. I've actually found 12X to be a far better likeable speed. But as we've all said. It does depend on your drive and firmware, and discs. You just have to test test test :p 2X seems to be good for BD's. But I will not hesitate to burn Verbs and TY's at 4X. 6X is probably pushing it at the moment. I'd like to get a hold of some 6 - 8X(Verbatim) Bd's, and do some more testing.

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
AfterDawn Addict
_
24. April 2011 @ 21:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Omegaman

I'm burning with the 7240S opti at X12 (DVDs) and having great success and I just burned some 6 CD audio discs @ 40X without any problems on the fly on older verbatim cd-R.

bratcher

I did the the same thing with Nero Express and let it set itself at max.@ 24X (a TY-JVC +R) on the fly. I was quite a fast burn and the disc played just fine.(7240S-also) I did give it away tho.

bratcher
_
24. April 2011 @ 22:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by garmoon:
Omegaman

I'm burning with the 7240S opti at X12 (DVDs) and having great success and I just burned some 6 CD audio discs @ 40X without any problems on the fly on older verbatim cd-R.

bratcher

I did the the same thing with Nero Express and let it set itself at max.@ 24X (a TY-JVC +R) on the fly. I was quite a fast burn and the disc played just fine.(7240S-also) I did give it away tho.
My Samsung/TSST SH-S223L (with the latest firmware) is a 22x top speed DVD drive that also does CD's at 52x. However I don't max out my burning speeds by personal choice. 8x for DVD's & 24x for audio CD's is just the speeds that I like to burn at. For me there's just no reason to burn any faster even though my playback results are just fine at higher speeds. Lately I've been using CMC discs however I bought a 100 pack of some Moser Baur DVD's & they burn (plus play back) fine too. Haven't bought any Verbatim Datalife Plus or Tayio Yuden DVD's (both excellent stuff btw!!) however I might return to those brands even though the CMC discs I've burned as video DVD's never gave me any playback problems in not only my own Toshiba DVD & Oppo Blu Ray machines plus a combo Samsung DVD/VCR & a Samsung Blu Ray player at my parents house. Strange that others have had troubles with CMC plus Ritek on DVD players & I haven't. Either I'm very lucky or perhaps my DVD burner is (perhaps) better than some other peoples burners. I really don't know. Might have something to do with my burn speed too. Also I've given away CMC mid code discs that I burned at 8x to a pair of friends with unknown brand DVD players & they never reported any problems with those discs.

Garmoon, Did you try playing back that 24x burned TY DVD in your standalone DVD or Blu Ray player before you gave it away? If so then were there any playback problems because of the fast burn? I was just wondering.....

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. April 2011 @ 22:04

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
24. April 2011 @ 22:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I burn CMC MAG discs at 12X all the time. Haven't had a problem yet. But I generally burn with my wonderful NEC chipped optiarcs :D Those discs are however giveaways. Although I've kept a few for testing purposes. I plan to gauge there longevity in comparison to other medias ;)

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
24. April 2011 @ 23:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Man I love Taiyo Yuden! My samsung player finally played an LTH bd! It won't play the Verbatim LTH discs, but it will play the TY's. Just made my day ;) For google, and everyones reference:

The samsung BD-P1590 will play Taiyo Yuden BD-R LTH discs! Yeah! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the quality of the dyes ;)

Please note that my firmware is also the latest. 2.16

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. April 2011 @ 23:41

bratcher
_
24. April 2011 @ 23:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I burn CMC MAG discs at 12X all the time. Haven't had a problem yet. But I generally burn with my wonderful NEC chipped optiarcs :D Those discs are however giveaways. Although I've kept a few for testing purposes. I plan to gauge there longevity in comparison to other medias ;)
So I suppose your keep for yourself discs are TY's & MIS Verbs. My CMAGS seem to be stable even 2 to 3 years after they were first burned either in my computer or in a Magnavox standalone DVD recorder that I wore out saving recorded movies off of a Comcast DVR. So maybe they do last awhile now? Only time will tell. But then not all of my 2000 or so unwatched DVD's that I recorded are on CMAG media. Quite a bit of it is on TY & MIS Verbatim before CMAG started making them with Verb mid codes (I have some of those too) plus I have some Ritek (the 8x G05's went bad within 6 months of burning) & Prodisc in those discs. And a few Nexxtech & Playo plus some Windata that still seem to play ok. Basically the good stuff with some lower quality media in the batch. Between what I've bought & recorded I don't need cable TV anymore so I cut that cord off about a year ago & never looked back. Netflix, OTA DTV & those DVD's are all I watch now...
bratcher
_
25. April 2011 @ 00:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Man I love Taiyo Yuden! My samsung player finally played an LTH bd! It won't play the Verbatim LTH discs, but it will play the TY's. Just made my day ;) For google, and everyones reference:

The samsung BD-P1590 will play Taiyo Yuden BD-R LTH discs! Yeah! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the quality of the dyes ;)

Please note that my firmware is also the latest. 2.16
Good for you!! I haven't gone the BD-R route though. For me DVDR's (for recording) is enough. However every Blu Ray I've bought blows away DVD when either is played in the Oppo BDP-93 Blu Ray player. Oh & it does a great job upconverting SD DVD's too but Blu Ray still looks better on my screen. Not overdoing the Blu Ray purchases though as I have lots of SD DVD's to watch.

Do you do the Netfix streaming on your Samsung? I do with the Oppo. 480P SD is pretty good but 720P HD looks a lot better. I only wish that Netflix offered 1080P HD streaming. Maybe one day they will....
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
25. April 2011 @ 00:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes, I generally only keep TY's and Taiwan/UAE/MIS Verbatim discs. You'd probably be surprised that I have very few TY's that I keep for myself. :S My collection is 90% verbatim. TY's I also... eh hem, give away, to insure others longevity.

Yes, it does Netflix streaming. But we have a Western Digital HD media player for that :p

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 25. April 2011 @ 00:07

bratcher
_
25. April 2011 @ 00:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes, I generally only keep TY's and Taiwan/UAE/MIS Verbatim discs. You'd probably be surprised that I have very few TY's that I keep for myself. :S My collection is 90% verbatim. TY's I also... eh hem, give away, to insure others longevity.

Yes, it does Netflix streaming. But we have a Western Digital HD media player for that :p
My burned collection is about 2/3rds TY & Verbatim. The rest is Ritek/CMC/Prodisc plus a small amount of Playo & Nexxtech discs.

Why do you prefer the Western Digital HD player over your Samsung Blu Ray player for Netflix? I myself used to do all my Netflix streaming on the computer but now I only do it on the Oppo. The computer is just for managing my queue to put anything I want to watch towards the front of the list as well as adding stuff to the queue.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
25. April 2011 @ 01:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Its not about preference really. Although it is. The HD media player has more capabilities. And I only have one Ethernet connection available for either device. Obviously the WD player wins out here. THough it's rarely used, because my folks are kind of old fashioned. They understand very little about technology ;)

AfterDawn Addict
_
25. April 2011 @ 14:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bratcher:
Originally posted by garmoon:
Omegaman

bratcher

My Samsung/TSST SH-S223L (with the latest firmware) is a 22x top speed DVD drive that also does CD's at 52x. However I don't max out my burning speeds by personal choice. 8x for DVD's & 24x for audio CD's is just the speeds that I like to burn at. For me there's just no reason to burn any faster even though my playback results are just fine at higher speeds. Lately I've been using CMC discs however I bought a 100 pack of some Moser Baur DVD's & they burn (plus play back) fine too. Haven't bought any Verbatim Datalife Plus or Tayio Yuden DVD's (both excellent stuff btw!!) however I might return to those brands even though the CMC discs I've burned as video DVD's never gave me any playback problems in not only my own Toshiba DVD & Oppo Blu Ray machines plus a combo Samsung DVD/VCR & a Samsung Blu Ray player at my parents house. Strange that others have had troubles with CMC plus Ritek on DVD players & I haven't. Either I'm very lucky or perhaps my DVD burner is (perhaps) better than some other peoples burners. I really don't know. Might have something to do with my burn speed too. Also I've given away CMC mid code discs that I burned at 8x to a pair of friends with unknown brand DVD players & they never reported any problems with those discs.

Garmoon, Did you try playing back that 24x burned TY DVD in your standalone DVD or Blu Ray player before you gave it away? If so then were there any playback problems because of the fast burn? I was just wondering.....
I played it by skipping thru chapters to see if it played on the pc no pixilations looked fine to me. Never tried in my panasonic stand alone or toshiba in bedroom.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
25. April 2011 @ 14:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
TY can handle pretty high speed burns. The dyes are incredible. If there are problems, its attributed to the burner. Before I retired the SH-223Q it was burning very good quality TY's at high speed. I retired them, because one of them was causing read problems during ripping. I'm a "Better safe than sorry" kind of guy. NEC chipped Optiarcs are however Longevity freaks :D

A very cooled computer case helps though ;)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 25. April 2011 @ 14:49

dr_ml422
_
6. May 2011 @ 22:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Happy belated Bunny Day guys and a wonderful upcoming Mom's Day to all.

Otn, I was surprised to see some Sony DVD+Rs I bought at Staples on sale to be both from different manufacturers or MIDs anyway. 1 spindle of 100 were Sony-D21-00 and the other was/is RITEK-F16-01. Screwed me up in a way because I thought both were the D21 and had ImgBurn autoset at 12x for them. Well, "Hello"! as I noticed on my 2nd spindle they were burning at max because they were Ritek-F16-01. So just in case no one has experienced this B4 always check the MIDs on any packs whether bought from the same store and same brand because they can easily come from different sources etc...

Live n Learn. Lucky no one leaves this place alive so better make the best we can of it huh!

SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F, SAMSUNG SH-S202J, PIONEER DVR 112D

Common Sense Aint Too Common Anymore.
bluesbabe
_
14. May 2011 @ 12:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Supermediastore.com has JVC Taiyo Yuden White Inkjet Hub Printable 8X DVD-R Media (Premium Line) 200 Pack in Tape Wrap for $60, free shipping, with free gift-y sleeves, thru 5/15.
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/taiyo-yuden-white-inkjet-printable-8x-dvd-r-media-100X2?utm_source=emailSonic&utm_content=Media&utm_medium=campaign&utm_term=DV%20001%203557-FT&utm_campaign=110512%20Editors%20Picks

Meritline.com has Verbatim (96526) DVD+R 16X Silver Branded DVD Plus R Blank Media Discs 4.7GB in 100 Pack Shrink Wrap for $16.99 with coupon code MLC5JODV1M3NL1 (limit 150 uses so you better hurry)
http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-96526-16x-dvd-r-branded-media---p-66409.aspx?hq_e=el&hq_m=2199478&hq_l=43&hq_v=0f00030481
AfterDawn Addict
_
14. May 2011 @ 19:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The last shrink wrapped (tape wrap) Verbatim discs that I received from MeritLine were the 'Value' series . . Personally I will continue to avoid them

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
14. May 2011 @ 20:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Can't beat the deal I just got. I got these little gems for .99 cents each at officemax! Of course It took 42$ worth of recycled ink cartridges credited to my maxperk rewards card :D I still think it's awesome. The older one on the left, I haven't seen that packaging in quite some time. I yanked those up real quick. I'd like to compare the new to old ;) I saw the life series also on the shelf. Didn't look at the price. Most of their media is overly priced. But since I had some credit for their store ;)
The one on the left also says 2005. They probably DON'T get much business being overly priced!

AfterDawn Addict
_
14. May 2011 @ 20:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oman... those little beauties on the LEFT are excellent discs!!!! If they've been properly stored and taken care of for 5+ years then they should be about the best you've had in some time. :)

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
bratcher
_
14. May 2011 @ 21:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:
The last shrink wrapped (tape wrap) Verbatim discs that I received from MeritLine were the 'Value' series . . Personally I will continue to avoid them
Thats why I'd prefer the remaining Verbatim Datalife Plus stock that Meritline might still have. However I did buy a 100 pack of Verbatim Life series from Fry's for $14.99 as a test (yep they were CMC mid code) & they seem to be on par with the usual CMC quality. Have about 50 left to burn then around 98 Datawrite Moser Bour DVD's to burn also bought for a test of their quality. Neither are as good as Tayio Yuden but still useable for data & video at least in my computer & standalone DVD recorder.

I'm down to my last 40 or so Hotan Valuedisc (CMC mid code) white inkjet hub printables bought at my local Microcenter so I'll head over to Meritline to check prices on TY, Verb Datalife Plus & Prodisc Spin-X inkjet printable DVD media then pick out some for delivery. All work very well for me so it's more of a price issue than a brand preference this time although I'm planning to buy around 400 to 600 discs from whichever brand I choose.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 14. May 2011 @ 21:26

_
9. June 2011 @ 17:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by greensman:
Oman... those little beauties on the LEFT are excellent discs!!!! If they've been properly stored and taken care of for 5+ years then they should be about the best you've had in some time. :)
I've got a bunch of those put away in a box stored in a cabinet. I should take them out and fondle them. I don't burn as many discs as I did back when I bought them.

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
9. June 2011 @ 18:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I still haven't "Fondled" my new verbatims. I should tonight LOL!

On another note, I still cannot find the Taiyo Yuden Blu-ray discs I bought a while back. It's as though they never existed. ANd they're the best BD's I've seen to date. I may just have a rare batch of discs! I won't be burning anymore, that's for sure. Though they may be sold by ebay sellers from over seas...

_
20. June 2011 @ 12:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
TDK 16X DVD-R 4.7GB 200 Pack Spindle - 2 x 100pk - 48520-KIT - at Buy.com

1. TDK 16X DVD-R 4.7GB 200 Pack Spindle - 2 x 100pk
Buy New: $32.99
In Stock: Usually Ships within 24 hours
FREE SHIPPING- Seems like a decent Deal Not as Good a deal as when you get 3 X50 Ct. of Tdk DVD-R or Plus R for $23.00-$25.00 dollars But Not bad ? But Does anyone know short of Buying and trying them Is there anyway to tell if Your Getting The Ritek Oem'ed Tdk's or The CMC oem'ed Tdk's { like packaging style or sku codes ect..} I 'll Use Either But My Litey seems to just Like the Cmc versions better ? Still Not a bad deal either way I suppose ? Nice to hear from everyone again & thanks !!!!!! " I'm Not Dead Yet , I feel happy { Thump !!!!!!} " Monty Python !!!!!!

FeetZ Up ! Head Down !
ljas2064
_
23. June 2011 @ 13:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What am I missing? I read how excited people get to be able to purchase 100 dvd's for $25, and how good or bad a certain brand is. I have burned thousands of dvd's, and the omly thing I consider is the price. Almost every Sunday, someone has dvd's on sale. I never pay more than $20 for a hat box of 100. I have used Sony, Verbatim, TDK, HP, and almost every kind of brand name (Staples, Best Buy, etc...)and for the most part, have had a failure rate of less than 4%. The only time I've had any problems is when I burned a 100 discs that were left in the trunk of a car for a month in the middle of the summer. About 40% of those s... the bed. This week I'm headed over to Office Max to stock up on Magnovox.At $11.99 for a 100 pack, I'm going to restock my shelves.
Advertisement
_
__

_
TreePro
_
23. June 2011 @ 13:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ljas2064:
What am I missing? I read how excited people get to be able to purchase 100 dvd's for $25, and how good or bad a certain brand is. I have burned thousands of dvd's, and the omly thing I consider is the price. Almost every Sunday, someone has dvd's on sale. I never pay more than $20 for a hat box of 100. I have used Sony, Verbatim, TDK, HP, and almost every kind of brand name (Staples, Best Buy, etc...)and for the most part, have had a failure rate of less than 4%. The only time I've had any problems is when I burned a 100 discs that were left in the trunk of a car for a month in the middle of the summer. About 40% of those s... the bed. This week I'm headed over to Office Max to stock up on Magnovox.At $11.99 for a 100 pack, I'm going to restock my shelves.
Get back with us in 10 years or so and let us know which ones still play. I never had that many not burn and play, but it will be the archival value of the better dyes that will make the difference.

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork