User User name Password  

Monday 30.9.2024 / 07:38
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
23. June 2011 @ 13:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
To each his/her own man. It's no secret though, that verbatim (MCC), and Taiyo yuden have proved themselves trustworthy media. Philips, Ritek, Imation have not. Those would be bottom tier media. If you're concerned about longevity, I'd certainly recommend top tier. But since Dvd's are quickly becoming outdated, just about any media will do, provided the burner/firmware can handle the cheap stuff. If it's burned slow, and stored well, any cheap media should last 5 - 10 yrs. Where as Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim, I'd bet my right arm, that they'll survive beyond my years. Provided they're stored well. That's the big factor here. Storage!

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
Advertisement
_
__
_
23. June 2011 @ 15:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The one guy mentioned HP's, I don't know thier value now, but the one's I used about 5 to 7 years ago, be very careful, I burned about 100 of them and am sad to say today, at least an 80% failure rate, I do not mess around with anything anymore, it's either verbs or ty's or nothing else for me, I have learned my lesson, as far as price, I can almost get verbs for 20 bucks 100 packs just about any time thru officemax sales or Supermediastore.com, sales on ty's are few and far between especially on +r's which is my preferance, and when a sale does come on them I jump on it big time.
bratcher
_
23. June 2011 @ 16:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I wonder who makes Imation DVD media now? Not looking to buy any. Just wondering....
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
23. June 2011 @ 16:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Mine were optodisc and CMC MAG E01 media's.

bratcher
_
23. June 2011 @ 16:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by omegaman7:
Mine were optodisc and CMC MAG E01 media's.
Thanks.
AfterDawn Addict
_
23. June 2011 @ 17:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ljas2064:
What am I missing? I read how excited people get to be able to purchase 100 dvd's for $25, and how good or bad a certain brand is. I have burned thousands of dvd's, and the omly thing I consider is the price. Almost every Sunday, someone has dvd's on sale. I never pay more than $20 for a hat box of 100. I have used Sony, Verbatim, TDK, HP, and almost every kind of brand name (Staples, Best Buy, etc...)and for the most part, have had a failure rate of less than 4%. The only time I've had any problems is when I burned a 100 discs that were left in the trunk of a car for a month in the middle of the summer. About 40% of those s... the bed. This week I'm headed over to Office Max to stock up on Magnovox.At $11.99 for a 100 pack, I'm going to restock my shelves.
would love to see what those magnavox code out as. Like I say "you can buy cheap media and you can buy good media cheap" that's what this thread's about. Tree pro has it right how many will play in 10 years?

bratcher
_
23. June 2011 @ 17:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by garmoon:
What am I missing? I read how excited people get to be able to purchase 100 dvd's for $25, and how good or bad a certain brand is. I have burned thousands of dvd's, and the omly thing I consider is the price. Almost every Sunday, someone has dvd's on sale. I never pay more than $20 for a hat box of 100. I have used Sony, Verbatim, TDK, HP, and almost every kind of brand name (Staples, Best Buy, etc...)and for the most part, have had a failure rate of less than 4%. The only time I've had any problems is when I burned a 100 discs that were left in the trunk of a car for a month in the middle of the summer. About 40% of those s... the bed. This week I'm headed over to Office Max to stock up on Magnovox.At $11.99 for a 100 pack, I'm going to restock my shelves.
would love to see what those magnavox code out as. Like I say "you can buy cheap media and you can buy good media cheap" that's what this thread's about. Tree pro has it right how many will play in 10 years?
Last Magnavox I burned was CMC MID code. Might still be the same now.
smiler123
Suspended permanently
_
23. June 2011 @ 17:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Burn it on Verbatim - Keep it forever

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23. June 2011 @ 17:58

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
23. June 2011 @ 18:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by smiler123:
Provided it's MCC type :p CMC is ok, but time will tell.

bratcher
_
23. June 2011 @ 18:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by smiler123:
But what if it was burned on Verbatim Life Series which we know is CMC? Will the disc fail in 3 to 5 years? Who knows....
TreePro
_
23. June 2011 @ 18:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ ljas2064
They have Verbatim DVD-R on sale at Newegg for $17.99 for 100 if you use promo code EMCKDHJ67 that's also free shipping. Good till 6/27/11 here's link to E-Blast flyer
http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/june-0-2011/summersale21/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062111&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062111-_-EMC-062111-Index-_-E0-_-PromoWord

I have FugiFilm made by Taiyo-Yuden ID T02 and Verbatim MCC 004 that are 15 years old and so far all of them are still good. I'm in process of backing them up on hard drives and so far no bad ones.
AfterDawn Addict
_
23. June 2011 @ 19:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ljas2064,

Given the fact that you often can buy Verbs, either +R or -R for $17.99 with free shipping at newegg, I'll stick to those. The HPs are pure crap, and deteriorate sometimes faster than you can use them up, and my blanks are all stored in a cool dark place. The TDKs aren't much better!

Best Regards,
Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

dr_ml422
_
23. June 2011 @ 22:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There's no way in my experience that totally well known bad media won't fail somehow. Almost too predictable they will. Longevity is definitely the main point.
bratcher
_
23. June 2011 @ 23:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by TreePro:
@ ljas2064
They have Verbatim DVD-R on sale at Newegg for $17.99 for 100 if you use promo code EMCKDHJ67 that's also free shipping. Good till 6/27/11 here's link to E-Blast flyer
http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/june-0-2011/summersale21/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062111&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062111-_-EMC-062111-Index-_-E0-_-PromoWord

I have FugiFilm made by Taiyo-Yuden ID T02 and Verbatim MCC 004 that are 15 years old and so far all of them are still good. I'm in process of backing them up on hard drives and so far no bad ones.
These Newegg Verbatim aren't the Life series in the picture. Would be nice if you didn't get Life Series when you ordered but who really knows?
AfterDawn Addict
_
23. June 2011 @ 23:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bratcher:
@ ljas2064

These Newegg Verbatim aren't the Life series in the picture. Would be nice if you didn't get Life Series when you ordered but who really knows?
get the Verbs at a B&M store and order the TY or JVCs and Sonys on line. I'm leary about Verbs anymore. Anyway all are on sale once in a while.
TreePro
_
24. June 2011 @ 01:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
quote from bratcher,
"These Newegg Verbatim aren't the Life series in the picture. Would be nice if you didn't get Life Series when you ordered but who really knows?"
The last ones I got, been several months now wasn't Life Series, but was made in the UAE. They all burned ok,just won't buy because of that. Just buy Tayio now and I make 3 complete copies on separate hard drive also. I find I watch more movies streamed through media player than I ever did on DVD. Was too lazy to get up and put DVD in player.
AfterDawn Addict
_
24. June 2011 @ 02:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
quote from bratcher,
"These Newegg Verbatim aren't the Life series in the picture. Would be nice if you didn't get Life Series when you ordered but who really knows?"
The last ones I got, been several months now wasn't Life Series, but was made in the UAE. They all burned ok,just won't buy because of that. Just buy Tayio now and I make 3 complete copies on separate hard drive also. I find I watch more movies streamed through media player than I ever did on DVD. Was too lazy to get up and put DVD in player.
TreePro,

The picture isn't the Life Series. It the -Rs. They are the regular verbs with the AZO Dyes! The last ones I bought had the same wrapper!

Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

dr_ml422
_
24. June 2011 @ 19:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nothing lately has caught my attention enough to burn, though X-Men 1ST Class and Thor when ready will!

I'll be shopping around myself for sales on TYs and Verbies. If not too apart from price I might snatch up the TYs. Guess from JVC if now that's the deal.

@ Russ You really went all out on that build huh! I like that. Something told me you were going all out on something. Good to hear from you as always. We'll touch base soon buddy. I promise.

SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F, SAMSUNG SH-S202J, PIONEER DVR 112D

Common Sense Aint Too Common Anymore.
smiler123
Suspended permanently
_
24. June 2011 @ 20:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
like i said ^^
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. June 2011 @ 14:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Possibly a bit of a stretch, my friend . . .

?The non-recordible DVD-Video format first went on sale in Japan on November 1, 1996

?The DVD-R format was developed by Pioneer in 1997

?The DVD+R format was developed by a coalition of corporations?now known as the DVD+RW Alliance?in mid-2002 (8x and 16x recording speeds were still unheard of)

I have some early Pioneer-produced DVD-R discs (which cost around $9 EACH in 1999). They are 1x and still play -- POORLY

The modern discs are much less costly and are waaaay higher quality

I'm sorry if it appears that I'm ripping you, just wanted to clarify a timeline . . .

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. June 2011 @ 16:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:

?The non-recordible DVD-Video format first went on sale in Japan on November 1, 1996

?The DVD-R format was developed by Pioneer in 1997

?The DVD+R format was developed by a coalition of corporations?now known as the DVD+RW Alliance?in mid-2002 (8x and 16x recording speeds were still unheard of)

I have some early Pioneer-produced DVD-R discs (which cost around $9 EACH in 1999). They are 1x and still play -- POORLY

I'm sorry if it appears that I'm ripping you, just wanted to clarify a timeline . . .
carfreak,

I had been using Sony 8x made by Taiyo-Yuden ID T02 DVDs since late 2003. I finally ran out last year around Christmas Time. Best DVDs I ever bought. I went back to CompUSA, and made a deal to purchase all they had left, about 400 DVDs. I think there were 6 500 Packs, with the rest being 25 packs. I think it cost me $44 and change for the 400! They were such High Quality media that when 16x came along, you could burn them at 16x, which was the media selected speed! Sadly, nothing today compares unless you are willing to spend a lot more!

Russ

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. June 2011 @ 16:10

bratcher
_
26. June 2011 @ 16:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by theonejrs:

•The non-recordible DVD-Video format first went on sale in Japan on November 1, 1996

•The DVD-R format was developed by Pioneer in 1997

•The DVD+R format was developed by a coalition of corporations—now known as the DVD+RW Alliance—in mid-2002 (8x and 16x recording speeds were still unheard of)

carfreak,

I had been using Sony 8x made by Taiyo-Yuden ID T02 DVDs since late 2003. I finally ran out last year around Christmas Time. Best DVDs I ever bought. I went back to CompUSA, and made a deal to purchase all they had left, about 400 DVDs. I think there were 6 500 Packs, with the rest being 25 packs. I think it cost me $44 and change for the 400! They were such High Quality media that when 16x came along, you could burn them at 16x, which was the media selected speed! Sadly, nothing today compares unless you are willing to spend a lot more!

Russ

I did the same thing several years ago hunting down the last Maxell 4x yellowtops (all TY btw) that I could find until I couldn't get any more in my local area & did the same with the 8x TY Sony's. Might have been some 16x TY Sony's too but I don't remember. Oh & another thing I bought & burned from Meritline (until there was no more) was some fantastic Verbatim 4x -R white inkjet printables & I didn't have an inkjet printer back then, just sharpies....
TreePro
_
26. June 2011 @ 16:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bratcher:
Originally posted by theonejrs:

•The non-recordible DVD-Video format first went on sale in Japan on November 1, 1996

•The DVD-R format was developed by Pioneer in 1997

•The DVD+R format was developed by a coalition of corporations—now known as the DVD+RW Alliance—in mid-2002 (8x and 16x recording speeds were still unheard of)

carfreak,

Russ

I did the same thing several years ago hunting down the last Maxell 4x yellowtops (all TY btw) that I could find until I couldn't get any more in my local area & did the same with the 8x TY Sony's. Might have been some 16x TY Sony's too but I don't remember. Oh & another thing I bought & burned from Meritline (until there was no more) was some fantastic Verbatim 4x -R white inkjet printables & I didn't have an inkjet printer back then, just sharpies....
OOPS! My son is almost 21 and I HAD to back-up all his movies as he was pretty rough on them. I forgot the first 4 or 5 years was VHS so probably 10 years on DVD. When they started selling Studio 321 back-up software around 2001 I believe. Anyhow Bestbuy back then sold FugiFilm made in Japan, TY T02. They then started made in Taiwan so I quit with them. The first burner was really high, but after 10 or 12 movies destroyed was well worth it.
bratcher
_
29. June 2011 @ 14:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Got lucky at my local Microcenter on a web site local store sale. They had four 50 packs of Imation DVD+r's at $6.99 each as part of a closeout sale. Well I ordered them (hey I like to try out cheap media from time to time so why not?) then when I arrived at the store with a printed copy of my pickup order email they couldn't find my order which has never happened to me at that store before. So I picked out 2 of these: Verbatim DVD+R super AZO (Made in India but a test disc still burned & scanned pretty good) for $20.99 each & the manager without me having to ask cut the price of each one as a replacement for the discs I had ordered that they couldn't find to $12.99 each for both of them & I walked out of the store very happy!!

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0193528
Advertisement
_
__

_
bratcher
_
29. June 2011 @ 14:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by omegaman7:
To each his/her own man. It's no secret though, that verbatim (MCC), and Taiyo yuden have proved themselves trustworthy media. Philips, Ritek, Imation have not. Those would be bottom tier media. If you're concerned about longevity, I'd certainly recommend top tier. But since Dvd's are quickly becoming outdated, just about any media will do, provided the burner/firmware can handle the cheap stuff. If it's burned slow, and stored well, any cheap media should last 5 - 10 yrs. Where as Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim, I'd bet my right arm, that they'll survive beyond my years. Provided they're stored well. That's the big factor here. Storage!
I guess that storage does matter even on the cheap stuff. Have some Windata, Playo & Nexxtech DVDR's I burned as video discs at 8x speed in my computer & 1x speed in a standalone DVD recorder. Well those discs are reaching 3 to 4 years old now & I've played a few that were stored in slimline plastic cases on my shelf & they still played perfectly in a Blu Ray player. Got the same results with some old Playo thats been stored on a 100 DVD spindle (I've got something like 2000 movies from TCM, the Encore channels & Fox Movie Channel to watch) that also played perfectly in the same Blu Ray player which to me is amazing for garbage media. No idea though if any of those will still play another 5 years down the road though. Only time will tell but then 98 percent of those backed up (to watch later) movies recorded from cable are on much better TY MIJ & Verbatim MIS media so it's only about 300 discs on cheap media that might go bad some day.....

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork