User User name Password  

Saturday 28.9.2024 / 23:38
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
3. January 2010 @ 02:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've been burning all my stash of 8X TY T02s (+Rs) @8X for years without any issues whatsoever. I don't hesitate to burn verb +R X16 @16X either. I even burn the old office depot branded Riteks 16s @16X also and their new TDK F16s @16X. I still burn the 16X verbs @8X for ones I keep for myself.
Advertisement
_
__
bratcher
_
3. January 2010 @ 09:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by greensman:
Originally posted by dr_ml422:

I like those links. The DVD+R Verbs are good, but is 24.99 pretty decent? Also I'm getting more partial towards 16x Media as I can hit 12x for a very good burn. At 8x media are the burns at 8x as good as 4? Has anyone tried the TYs 8x at 6x? I heard they come out pretty good from some posts I've seen, but usual rule is 1/2 speed of disc.

Ritek are sensitive w/me also. If their 16x they have to be burned at 8x as Joe Ryan said. at least that's what happened to me. at higher rates they came out bad. Started digitalizing and flics could not be seen.
dr_ml... I wouldn't be worried about running those discs at 8x-12x and NOT looking back. Most of the media made now is very good and the burners (firmware really) is superior to what we had in the past. ;) I think the deal for the Verbies is pretty good... that's delivered IIRC. ;) I've found that 8x with the Riteks is spot on as well. :)
All 4 of those brands in the inkjet printable version work fine for me at 8 - 12x (for 16x media) although usually I buy 8x & burn it at 8x simply for the cheaper price. I've tried 16x Ritek over 8x & get better results at 8x with it also. All but the Ritek hit close to 16x in my burner.

Locally the cheapest I can can get is 16x Phillips white inkjet printable (at $13.99 per 50 pack from Microcenter) which is CMAG or 16x Prodisc white inkjet printable at $11.99 per 50 pack from Meritline with the Prodisc 8x white inkjet printable being $11.50 per 50 pack but then shipping drives the price up to a little over $19 so that the local Phillips is cheaper even with sales tax. Best to wait for the sales from SMS or Meritline with the free shipping for white inkjet printable which sometimes happens.

I only posted the Valuedisc because I thought somebody might want to buy it as the +R 8x silver shiny Verbatim (at $19.99 per 100 pack on a spindle) only available in the Microcenter stores is running out. My local store only has about 68 of them left. I burned three 100 packs of the 8x +R Verbs mostly in the Magnavox DVD recorder & also some in the Samsung computer drive & they were very good quality.

SMS is running a media sale with most having free shipping. Lots of -R, some +R DL & some CDR too. Sadly there's no +R on sale there.

http://www.supermediastore.com/category/...a-campaign-page

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 3. January 2010 @ 09:03

dr_ml422
_
4. January 2010 @ 08:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ bratcher & greensman Thanks for the heads up on those discs and the sales/burning tips.

I just noticed now in greensman link to the TYS in Meritline that they will be called or w/e JVC from now on? Is that true? Is the quality going to be the same and still MIJ? 1st time I see/hear mention of this. Thnx.

SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F, SAMSUNG SH-S202J, PIONEER DVR 112D

Common Sense Aint Too Common Anymore.
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 08:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ bratcher & greensman Thanks for the heads up on those discs and the sales/burning tips.

I just noticed now in greensman link to the TYS in Meritline that they will be called or w/e JVC from now on? Is that true? Is the quality going to be the same and still MIJ? 1st time I see/hear mention of this. Thnx.
1st time I saw it as well.. I don't read much about media anymore but I'm sure someone will know something. :) Joe Ryan is a good source if he'll drop by and shed some light. ;)

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
dr_ml422
_
4. January 2010 @ 08:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

1st time I saw it as well.. I don't read much about media anymore but I'm sure someone will know something. :) Joe Ryan is a good source if he'll drop by and shed some light. ;)
Oh wow. Thnx greensman. looks like we all will be getting the low-down soon enough here. I don't read into much either. It just happened to catch my eye. Hope they stay MIJ, or at least same quality. Those TY blanks are something else.

AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 08:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Oh wow. Thnx greensman. looks like we all will be getting the low-down soon enough here. I don't read into much either. It just happened to catch my eye. Hope they stay MIJ, or at least same quality. Those TY blanks are something else.
If they loose quality they will be nothing but ordinary if you ask me... they are super discs atm tho. :D I'm sure they'll stay MIJ... why would JVC screw with that part? They've been MIJ for years and I'm assuming they plan on keeping the plant in operation.

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 09:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Here's a little something I found with a quick search. ;)

TY now JVC (in USA?)

dr_ml422
_
4. January 2010 @ 09:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Man, w/all the out-sourceing and everything else going MIT etc... I sure hope so. I even went as far as washing those once w/mild soap etc.. to clean 1 up. Lets see if Joe Ryan or one of the other fellas jump in on this.

AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 09:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

TY now JVC (in USA?)

some more from Emedia

and even more from prweb even has a link to Microboards

dr_ml422
_
4. January 2010 @ 09:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

TY now JVC (in USA?)

some more from Emedia

and even more from prweb even has a link to Microboards
It's going down the tubes imo. That 1st link said it all. That was the stupidest thing I ever heard business wise. That because it now will say JVC more users will buy/use it? The 2nd link told us everything when they said more versions will be available.

Oh well, like I always say when the end is near or here."We had a good run sweetheart. Thanks for the memories."

JoeRyan
_
4. January 2010 @ 09:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
TY has remained the only major media manufacturer left in Japan. They manufacture discs of the highest quality with the best consistency when compared to all other manufacturers, but that comes at a cost. As a result, they have: 1) avoided the burden of a retail brand (getting into Wal-Mart has killed off more companies than you can imagine!); 2) depended on OEM sales and duplicator sales/distribution to get their products to market; 3) avoided getting into DL manufacturing that is extremely expensive and would be a public relations disaster for them because no esisting drives would recognize their DL MID codes and unhappy customers would attack them for "poor quality" (sound familiar?).

Distribution is the name of the game. TY joins JVC to use their distribution and sales channels to cut costs while still maintaining manufacturing volume. If demand continues to decrease, as it is for all optical media, TY may have to get out of the business or source from someone else, which would be a pity. My guess is that their standards are so high, they would simply get out of the business. They were once a big supplier of a particular U.S. brand for CD-Rs, and this brand placed large initial orders for DVD-R discs in 2000-2001. TY rejected the purchase order so that they could supply Japanese OEM customers, and it's been downhill since.
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 10:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by JoeRyan:
TY has remained the only major media manufacturer left in Japan. They manufacture discs of the highest quality with the best consistency when compared to all other manufacturers, but that comes at a cost. As a result, they have: 1) avoided the burden of a retail brand (getting into Wal-Mart has killed off more companies than you can imagine!); 2) depended on OEM sales and duplicator sales/distribution to get their products to market; 3) avoided getting into DL manufacturing that is extremely expensive and would be a public relations disaster for them because no esisting drives would recognize their DL MID codes and unhappy customers would attack them for "poor quality" (sound familiar?).

Distribution is the name of the game. TY joins JVC to use their distribution and sales channels to cut costs while still maintaining manufacturing volume. If demand continues to decrease, as it is for all optical media, TY may have to get out of the business or source from someone else, which would be a pity. My guess is that their standards are so high, they would simply get out of the business. They were once a big supplier of a particular U.S. brand for CD-Rs, and this brand placed large initial orders for DVD-R discs in 2000-2001. TY rejected the purchase order so that they could supply Japanese OEM customers, and it's been downhill since.
Thanks for dropping by Joe.. I knew you would have something more than what I found on the "web". ;)

AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 10:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
so keep a look out guys for the TY/JVC media so we can try some out

here is more info also

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthre...ad9a28ca10&

Antec 1200 Full-Tower Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Mobo/Western Digital Black WD500 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card/CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 /Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)/CORSAIR Hydro High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler/3-Asus DRW-24B1ST Sata Drives/Samsung 2493HM 24" LCD Monitior 1920x1200 resolution,5ms respone time/OS Windows 10 Pro SP1 64-bit

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. January 2010 @ 10:31

dr_ml422
_
4. January 2010 @ 11:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ZoSoIV:
so keep a look out guys for the TY/JVC media so we can try some out

here is more info also

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthre...28ca10&

So they're cutting costs and same great quality? I ignored all the corporate babble, as i didn't want to get more mixed up than after reading the 1st sentence. Bottom line TYs days seem finished. I wonder if Japan will keep the good stuff?

Blu-ray has sunk them in a deep hole, and it's killing them all across the board. That's the hit they took.

I've seen JVC discs in North America for a while now, so I really don't know what that post is talking regarding that, or maybe he's in another part of North America?

Oh well. God Bless Taimerica!. Lol...

AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 12:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
if anyone gets any JVC media see if it codes out as TY. who's going to be the ginnie pig lol

Antec 1200 Full-Tower Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Mobo/Western Digital Black WD500 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card/CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 /Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)/CORSAIR Hydro High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler/3-Asus DRW-24B1ST Sata Drives/Samsung 2493HM 24" LCD Monitior 1920x1200 resolution,5ms respone time/OS Windows 10 Pro SP1 64-bit
dr_ml422
_
4. January 2010 @ 13:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ZoSoIV:
if anyone gets any JVC media see if it codes out as TY. who's going to be the ginnie pig lol
When I get a chance i'll pass by PC Richies. That's where I saw them, and those were also recommended along w/verb 4x or 8x to use w/my Toshiba DVD Recorder/Player. It's freezing now so when I get up there I'll look inside.

If they have any I'll try some out. Even if they don't code out as TYS they might still be pretty decent.

AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 18:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have never seen a JVC disc for sale in any B&M store yet!
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 19:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by garmoon:
Nor have I that I remember. lol. So what is the deal with a "recognizable" media source?? :p

dr_ml422
_
4. January 2010 @ 19:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by garmoon:
Nor have I that I remember. lol. So what is the deal with a "recognizable" media source?? :p
Yes, PC Richards had the JVC Blanks at 1 time, and i've seen them some place else i think. The ones at Richards that I saw were about 2 years or so ago, and so I doubt they are the ones that they're using for the TYS now.

This is my DVD VIDEO RECORDER.

http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/...html?s=gg314159

In the manual it should reference the JVC DVD-RW 4x for recommended use along w/Maxell and Verbatims. Since I purchased it at PC Richards they had the JVC available at that time to the best of my knowledge.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. January 2010 @ 19:51

_
4. January 2010 @ 21:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

All the feedback I took for favoring JVC disks has finally paid off!! I feel a bit better now!!

AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 21:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@rtm27

And you can git dem JVC discs in CC--It's like a whole nother country! LOL
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
4. January 2010 @ 22:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
dang i need to get back in the game here. im missing out no alot of good info.. some very good info on some very good media.. oh i hope and pray TY dont go down. guess we all will be back out looking for the white octagon space on the top of the JVC brand disc like we were with the sony TY's

Zeppelin for ever nirvana NEVER!!!!!!
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 22:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by rtm27:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

All the feedback I took for favoring JVC disks has finally paid off!! I feel a bit better now!!
WHO gived you a hard time?? lol. btw what was the MID on those JVC discs?? ;)

AfterDawn Addict
_
4. January 2010 @ 22:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by cincyrob:

Zeppelin for ever nirvana NEVER!!!!!!
its funny you brought that up Rob, check this band out, "The Crooked Vultures" A new group consisting of Josh Homme (QOTSA, Kyuss) Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

New Fang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7_vH3H8LPI

Gunman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmEj_Lq6sWo

and to stay on topic lets hope the JVC/TY media shows up soon here in the USA and the quality is top notch

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. January 2010 @ 22:35

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
5. January 2010 @ 00:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yeah, cause I'm just about out of those Sony Octagoner TYs-my precious!

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork