User User name Password  

Sunday 29.9.2024 / 01:30
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
19. January 2010 @ 13:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:
Office Max has 100 disc cakeboxes of Verbatim DVDs for $19.99 + tax (no rebate necessary) through Sunday January 24th . . .
Thanks for the heads-up Catfreak. Here's the link

That price is good at B&M too. Sale ends 1/23 BTW.

Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
19. January 2010 @ 18:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:
Office Max has 100 disc cakeboxes of Verbatim DVDs for $19.99 + tax (no rebate necessary) through Sunday January 24th . . .
Thank you kind sir.... :)

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
rc1489
_
19. January 2010 @ 20:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Pardon me for jumping in again, i see you stopped "burning lately" because of Divx. I only know it's a newer format, but you haveno need to burn it or is it the CR, status?

I yet have no need for it yet, but need to ask the question if to use in the future
tks
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
19. January 2010 @ 20:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The CR, status?

No, I convert the movies to Divx/H.264 and play them off an external storage device(USB stick, HDD)

Piss me off, and I Will ignore You!
rc1489
_
19. January 2010 @ 21:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
CR- copy r;

as you can tell i am far from being any where near sharp on converting, so i gather after you convert it you have no need to store it? That's just the nature of Divx? Wish i knew more.
tks

i have some taiyo yuden 8x coming ther end of the week, see how they compare to verbs.
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
19. January 2010 @ 21:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
By converting to an AVI(Divx), the size is reduced. I store them on a hard drive. You can install and additional one on your PC and stream the media to your display, or attach it via USB for example.

rc1489
_
19. January 2010 @ 21:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I guess i read that it reduced the size, so content quality being it is then HDEF, or digital makes the diff? Then if you did burn it what would you have?
tks
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
19. January 2010 @ 22:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by rc1489:
I guess i read that it reduced the size, so content quality being it is then HDEF, or digital makes the diff? Then if you did burn it what would you have?
tks
Not sure what you're asking...
Is there loss of quality?- Yes, depending on how much you want to reduce the size, and what you use to encode, the quality might or might not be noticeable.

What do you have?- You have a file on a USB stick or an xternal hard drive, and you play it the same way you would play it on your computer, just displayed on your TV. You can use something like this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/19893.cfm

rc1489
_
19. January 2010 @ 22:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes my questions are kind of strange but i guess quality was one thing, i'll get out of you guys way thanks for the replies, sorry for the intrusion.
I'll watch your comments and see as i go
tks
rc1489
_
19. January 2010 @ 22:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes my questions are kind of strange but i guess quality was one thing, i'll get out of you guys way thanks for the replies, sorry for the intrusion.
I'll watch your comments and see as i go
tks

that is neat, the western dig
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
19. January 2010 @ 22:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The quality doesn't necessarily have to suffer, you have a choice of how much you want to compress. H.264/x.264 for example,compresses so beautifully, you might not be able to notice a quality loss even with a 2/3 size reduction.
There are some other cheaper alternatives to WD player, just with less features.

dr_ml422
_
19. January 2010 @ 23:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by cyprusrom:
Originally posted by rc1489:
tks
Not sure what you're asking...
Is there loss of quality?- Yes, depending on how much you want to reduce the size, and what you use to encode, the quality might or might not be noticeable.

What do you have?- You have a file on a USB stick or an xternal hard drive, and you play it the same way you would play it on your computer, just displayed on your TV. You can use something like this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/19893.cfm

I've been eyeing this WD player for a while now, and also have stopped storing on discs because it got crazy w/storage space etc... I keep all my flics on a hdd and use a Docking Station to do w/e, whether burn or play. I however have also been leaning towards converting to Xvid or H.264 for even more space. I think w/all the goodies at hand today there will be lil or no quality loss seen.

I just want a good clean flic to watch. Not into magnifying any minor defects. After about 1000 or more discs I woke up. Lol...

Oh, and I really have to like the flic to want to watch it again. Before I was just going nuts burning everything. You live and you learn.

SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F, SAMSUNG SH-S202J, PIONEER DVR 112D

Common Sense Aint Too Common Anymore.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 19. January 2010 @ 23:09

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
19. January 2010 @ 23:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by dr_ml422:

I just want a good clean flic to watch. Not into magnifying any minor defects. After about 1000 or more discs I woke up. Lol...

Oh, and I really have to like the flic to want to watch it again. Before I was just going nuts burning everything. You live and you learn.

Same here, after burning DVDs in the thousands, and trying to figure out storage and stuff...too much craziness. I had to move to a different apartment a while ago, that's when I handled again some discs burned years back. I looked through them,checked to see if still worked fine, and very few I would've wanted to watch again. They're still there and now I have digital backups for them, whether I throw the discs away or not is still a waste(money spent on discs, accumulation of garbage that'll last many of my life times...).

AfterDawn Addict
_
19. January 2010 @ 23:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@cyprusrom

So what will you do if your HDD crashes (and they do) and you lose all the movies that were stored there? You almost have to have 2 HDDs for each set of movies so they are backed up. And what if you're using TB HDDs and it crashes? Discs are cheaper than dual HDDs. I keep my back ups in 200+ count cd/dvd binder books. They store rather nicely in a closet or under a desk.
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
19. January 2010 @ 23:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
:), I actually do have 2 HDD. One that is on only when I transfer a new movie for backup, and the other for daily use.

The discs have gotten cheaper, but so did the external storage. Five spindles of DVDs(or less if using nice printable ones) will buy a HDD with plenty of space. Mine are internals in a USB enclosure.

AfterDawn Addict
_
20. January 2010 @ 00:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm not gonna get into the 6 of one and half a dozen of the other but this debate has gone on in my mind for some time now. :) I just pulled the trigger on 2 external enclosures for the 750GB drives I have and will see how this goes.. ONE of the 750's is full!!! I do need to do some cleaning but by the time I get things transferred and such it'll be full again!! lol. ;)

You have to have the discs for give-a-ways and such... the kiddies gotta have discs for their room as daddy isn't always gonna watch frikkin Spy Kids!!! ROFL. ;P

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
20. January 2010 @ 00:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@Gman,
It all comes down to preferences. And you're absolutely right, I still do occasional burns for giveaways...no kids here yet...
I also like the easy access. I turn on the thinggie, grab my remote and everything is there...
The one drive that is only for backup, comes on only 2-3 times a month, when I accumulate 10+ GB of new data and I am ready to transfer; some months more often than others, sometimes only 2-3 movies that I'd want to keep come out in a month period.

rc1489
_
20. January 2010 @ 01:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well i can see i should have been putting all these vhs tapes on hdds , not to late to finish i guess.
tks
_
20. January 2010 @ 02:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
quote, garmen
So what will you do if your HDD crashes (and they do) and you lose all the movies that were stored there? You almost have to have 2 HDDs for each set of movies so they are backed up. And what if you're using TB HDDs and it crashes? Discs are cheaper than dual HDDs. I keep my back ups in 200+ count cd/dvd binder books. They store rather nicely in a closet or under a desk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I Agree
dr_ml422
_
20. January 2010 @ 11:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by FredBun:
quote, garmen
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I Agree
I tell you exactly what one will do if their HDD crashes. Get another one. Same thing you do if your OS HDD crashes. No difference. As far as anything like that happening it is very less likely to happen nowadays as HDDS are way better made than they used to be.

Lil fear along w/paranoia going on here which is reasonable, but not to the extent of adding a partition to the house for DVD Discs. MPAA is not going anywhere any time soon so that Binder/SMS Disc case thingy will get old and obsolete real quick.

Blanks for Giveaways/viewing/etc... once in a while and storage from get go. I'm in the Apple. A toilet cost about $2200.00 a month here. I'm fortunate to have more than that and at a grandfathered price but many aren't.

IE: My DJ buddy fell asleep on the CD mixing generation turntable revolution, and now has over 10,000 LPs sitting in a Manhattan Mini-Storage collecting dust. Oh, and he has to pay to keep them there as well, or they will be dust. tried to get rid of them and just barely scratched the surface. I saw this and got busy w/several HDD and my selection.

When it comes to this thing of ours we must adapt, change, and try to stay ahead of the game asawc. Or pay more later. That's technology for you. Pretty soon I'll be streaming from a alternative option or some equivalent. It's just not that accurate yet to jump on.

Otn. Those Verbs are a excellent buy at OM, and I can't see JVC beating that at a B&M any time soon if ever. OM throws those sales on Verbs every so often also so it's not a 1 week wonder. Lol...

_
20. January 2010 @ 12:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I disagree, but as written before we all have our different preferences which is cool, don't forget the fact that when your hardrive crashes not if but when, what are you gonna do with all the movies you saved, re-download them again, and that's if you still can, or better, why not make another backup on another hadrive, on and on, getting the picture.

How many movies can you store on a hardrive, even if it's 2TB, certainly not if you have at least a 3000 DVD collection, how many hardrives will you need for that, I can see your point if you have a small collection, but when getting big time and I do not see the point, having weighted out the differences between the two doing it on hardrives would be the bigger pain in the butt. And last, I do respect your view.
dr_ml422
_
20. January 2010 @ 12:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The reason for the HDD is space, and Big Time. Big Time needs space. I also prefer efficiency as well. PNP and let w/e you want do the rest. When it crashes? Not like that anymore and I have to disagree w/you on that whole heartedly. Preferences yes, that's understandable, but HDD don't go on the blink just like that anymore.

They'd be outta business. As far as backups are concerned one needs to backup the DVD discs as well just like it was suggested here a few posts back by Joe Ryan and others. So if you have a 3000 Disc collection, I hope you have 3000 more some where as well.

Change is inevitable. Unfortunately we all get complacent w/just about everything. Same house, same dog, same boots, same food, etc... When it's time to change most than not it's too late.

I didn't want to leave XP Home but I had to. I didn't want to leave California but I had to. I want to eliminate pain as the touchtone to growth as much as possible.

My doctor use to tell me,"I have a pill that'll cure all your ailments, but it's a bit hard to swallow." In the top right hand corner on top of his bookshelf was a giant sized capsule he pointed to. I laughed and felt better right away. Lol...

If it goes south by any chance I'll laugh it off. Several hundred/thousand discs is a grain of sand in this beautiful world of ours. God Bless America.

_
20. January 2010 @ 12:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This is the wrong thread for this, but re hard drives - they will always fail, maybe not soon after purchase, maybe not for years, but they are mechanical and they always fail eventually. For quite some time now i've stopped the one movie one DVD game, (for me) it's wasteful and also i can't stand wasting time looking for a particular movie thru shelves of DVD's and binders full of DVD's. So for a while now i just convert my movies to AVI and keep the ones most watched on hard drives on my main PC which doubles as a file server/media server (though this PC isn't on all the time, only when encoding/burning is being done or when watching movies over my network.
I basically have each movie on 2 different hard drives (the second drives for most of my internal drives are in USB 2. enclosures so are only ever powered on when movies are added or deleted). I still use blank DVD's but only as a 3rd backup method, i just burn data DVD's and this way i get to cram on more than one movie and make best use of the blank discs. Of course it would be a nightmare to restore movies from DVD's but hard drives are quite reliable these days so hopefully i wouldn't lose both copies of a hard drive at the same time thus shouldn't need to even refer back to the DVD's.
But hard drives will always fail so i personally won't have important data on only one hard drive. (and i only class these AVI's as important due to the amount of time it would take to copy them all back to a replacement drive).

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 20. January 2010 @ 13:03

AfterDawn Addict
_
20. January 2010 @ 12:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
And hell it's just a movie anyway. ;) NOW if it's important data, family treasures, or something similar then a 3 backup method like creaky mentioned is prolly the thing to do anyway. :p

I like what dr_ml said and I've been thinking of it for some time... creaky's fault really... lol. I've been wondering for years what all those HDD's are for and I learned by reading and my own deductive powers, which are weak I must say!! ;)

NOW where are those media sales??? lol.

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
20. January 2010 @ 15:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No method is infallible, and of course the HDDs will eventually fail. However, if for me they fail at the rate they have been so far, I am pretty safe. One was a 7 y.o drive in an old computer, and the second drive failed me the second day I bought it(obviously a lemon); RMA'd it, and the replacement still goes strong 3 years later. How many times did you have your HDD on your PC crash beyond recovery, out of the blue, within just a couple of years? I think the reason "most" people buy new HDDs is to upgrade, not because they suddenly crash.

The technology advances.What now is a cheap, small capacity HDD, a couple years back used to be probably top of the line,the biggest HDD you could buy. In just a few years 5-10 TB HDD will probably be common use and pretty affordable. Then you'll also have the SSD hard drives becoming mainstream. I think a HDD that's on 1/2 hour to one hour 2-3 times a month will last for 3-5 years, when most likely will be replaced by some 10's TB drive.

I have done it both ways, and was time to adapt. I don't claim it's a better way, it just better suits me,easy access,light storage,portability...and so far, so good.

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork