User User name Password  

Sunday 29.9.2024 / 11:38
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. March 2010 @ 13:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ catfreak

I got 7 more months to go. OCT 2004

Advertisement
_
__
dr_ml422
_
17. March 2010 @ 13:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
MBI has been pretty steady lately as you confirmed. So has CMC Mags for some. I wouldn't panick either. Verbatim stands a lot to lose from selling good batches from 1 place and terrible ones from another. From a business perspective it won't make sense. If all were from 1 source and bad then we know what time it is. See ya nice burning w/ya...

SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F, SAMSUNG SH-S202J, PIONEER DVR 112D

Common Sense Aint Too Common Anymore.
_
17. March 2010 @ 13:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I also like this new layout, the older one I always had to widen the thread and sometimes that wouldn't work, had to keep going left and right with the bar to read everything, now thats solved, good work guys.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
17. March 2010 @ 14:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well this is scary. I'm extremely low on Verbatim DL's. Been backing up X264 encodes. I find the quality to be more future proof if I compress to 8Gb, rather than single layer dvds(There's a projector in my future). While some videos(shorter run times) can afford that loss, others cannot. So i'll be in the market for Dual layer Verbs here soon LOL! I sure hope they're coming down at least a little. You'd think they would, with the Blu ray revolution and all. But then, so many are reluctant to make the transition. Heck, I haven't made the full transition. I refuse to buy the BD blank media. Not after hearing longevity is an issue!

This appears to be the best bang for your/my buck. I'm thinking it'd be wiser/cheaper to buy HDD's instead. But the thing is, what if they fail. I need a permanent backup, when the drive goes south...
Verbatim Dual Layers 120Pack

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 17. March 2010 @ 15:08

rick5446
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
17. March 2010 @ 16:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I only order off the net no shipping no taxes SUPERMEDIA TYs & Ridata Ritek only white face
No gas or time spent picking them up
Might be a dollar or 2 more but all together a lot less Expensive, then gas and ware & tear on Vehicle
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. March 2010 @ 16:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@omegaman

Your friendly Sam's Club has them 50 for $59.xx which is same as the link. But you can walk in and buy them there today. Bought a pack last week. They are the 2.4X MIS.

AfterDawn Addict
_
17. March 2010 @ 16:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
double post. It said I had not logged in properly. still some bugs to work out.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 17. March 2010 @ 16:54

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
17. March 2010 @ 16:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No sams club around here. The only place near me that carries them is Officemax. At least I think they have them. Ahh! I'll be in the BIG CITY next weekend though :D

dr_ml422
_
17. March 2010 @ 22:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ omegaman How long are the videos you're compressing down to 8GB if you're encoding x264? I've been encoding to .264 for a bit now while I start my new collection. x264 compresses down to anywhere between 1cd to 4gb limit. I'm lost here.

I just finished going through what you're thinking about w/the HDD and backing up. The chances of 2 hdds going bad are really minute. Just as w/the discs you'll need a xtra hdd for every one you have backed up. Now the reality is that Discs are going to be here 4 a while because they don't want to lose control over the format.

So my solution/rather new approach is 2 fold. HDD backups w/my already .iso's that are useless unless burned to disc to play in the slim w/a backup to those. Burn a flic when I want to watch it. 2nd phase is buying the darn Blu-ray copy of my new really want to have/watch collection and making a backup of that and/or buying the DVD version and backing that up on a hdd as well 2 times.

Since there's no way around the discs and HDDs provide a quicker/smaller storage solution I see both as being used.

Picked up just 1 tub of 100 DVD+R Verbs at OM today. Nice ride on train. Saw all the nice hunnies/enjoyed the warmer weather, and came straight home. Total: $23.96 including tax and train fare. I really see my online shopping coming to a halt here soon. Called Microcenter today and the new store in Yonkers should be done here soon.

AfterDawn Addict
_
18. March 2010 @ 00:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
NOT that I'd trade my little town here in West Texas for the NYC but I'm a little envious of you and your new MicroCenter. :P We don't have one here and the only 'decent' computer store we had closed down over a year ago... CompUSA btw. :) Of course we have BestBuy, OM, OD, Staples, Walmart, Kmart, and some other smaller stores. lol. Mom and Pop stores too... but the LACK of a computer store sux!!! lol.

So online works pretty well most of the time. :p

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
dr_ml422
_
18. March 2010 @ 00:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That's what happened here too. When I 1st started this whole hobby I was pointed to CompUSA which was right here around 37th street and 5th ave. They closed their stores and went online. They own TigerDirect now btw as well. So I got stuck also w/the usual suspects you just mentioned. So I'm really glad MicroCenter is making this happen.

I would trade NYC for some quote unquote Peace of mind. I lived in Ocala Fl for 2 years and Cali for about 2. Cali too far from folks but awesome albeit all the catastrophes known to mankind. Fl was great. Too damn hot all the time and no $$$ unless you the Boss. So I'm here in NYC mainly cause I got a deal. You're either filthy rich or got a deal in NYC. 3 BR, LR, Kitchen, Bathroom. Ready 4 this: $250.00 month.

Would need a crane and special forces to get me outta here. Although I'm eyeing The Tropics very close here. Almost 40 winters just about can break anyone. Ifykwim.

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
18. March 2010 @ 00:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by dr_ml422:
@ omegaman How long are the videos you're compressing down to 8GB if you're encoding x264? I've been encoding to .264 for a bit now while I start my new collection. x264 compresses down to anywhere between 1cd to 4gb limit. I'm lost here.

I just finished going through what you're thinking about w/the HDD and backing up. The chances of 2 hdds going bad are really minute. Just as w/the discs you'll need a xtra hdd for every one you have backed up. Now the reality is that Discs are going to be here 4 a while because they don't want to lose control over the format.

So my solution/rather new approach is 2 fold. HDD backups w/my already .iso's that are useless unless burned to disc to play in the slim w/a backup to those. Burn a flic when I want to watch it. 2nd phase is buying the darn Blu-ray copy of my new really want to have/watch collection and making a backup of that and/or buying the DVD version and backing that up on a hdd as well 2 times.

Since there's no way around the discs and HDDs provide a quicker/smaller storage solution I see both as being used.

Picked up just 1 tub of 100 DVD+R Verbs at OM today. Nice ride on train. Saw all the nice hunnies/enjoyed the warmer weather, and came straight home. Total: $23.96 including tax and train fare. I really see my online shopping coming to a halt here soon. Called Microcenter today and the new store in Yonkers should be done here soon.

Why would you say ISO's are useless? I loves ISO's. I've found virtually nothing wrong with them. Burn them at will, Mount them, etc etc...

The BD's I'm compressing are anywhere from 1.5 - 3hrs a piece. But I plan on having a projector later. So maintaining the quality is a must! ;)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 18. March 2010 @ 00:50

dr_ml422
_
18. March 2010 @ 01:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I didn't mean worthless. Lol... I meant that the PS3 Slim won't play .iso files from the pc/HDD. Only on Discs. So it's ok like you said I'll just burn whenever and throw one in. I didn't know you was ripping BD Discs so I was wondering about the 8GB layer.

A 1.5-2HR DVD I can squeeze nicely to about 1Gb more or less setting bitrate at 1100 using MeGUI. I like x264 myself. More room etc...

AfterDawn Addict
_
18. March 2010 @ 01:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That's what happened here too. When I 1st started this whole hobby I was pointed to CompUSA which was right here around 37th street and 5th ave. They closed their stores and went online. They own TigerDirect now btw as well. So I got stuck also w/the usual suspects you just mentioned. So I'm really glad MicroCenter is making this happen.

I would trade NYC for some quote unquote Peace of mind. I lived in Ocala Fl for 2 years and Cali for about 2. Cali too far from folks but awesome albeit all the catastrophes known to mankind. Fl was great. Too damn hot all the time and no $$$ unless you the Boss. So I'm here in NYC mainly cause I got a deal. You're either filthy rich or got a deal in NYC. 3 BR, LR, Kitchen, Bathroom. Ready 4 this: $250.00 month.

Would need a crane and special forces to get me outta here. Although I'm eyeing The Tropics very close here. Almost 40 winters just about can break anyone. Ifykwim.
I was 9 years into my second stint in NJ, when I left for good. The Blizzard of 96 convinced me that my time had come! May 22, 1996 did it for me. Woke up to a 22" overnight snowfall! Real wet, heavy snow. First we had to deal with that, and the water the next day, when it warmed up considerably! A major winter storm in May, followed the next day by floods caused by the melting snow. I moved west in the Fall! I've been through that area twice since I left, had to be in the late 90s. I was on my way to a Digital Imaging X-Ray conference in Copenhagen. 737 from Las Vegas to NY, Concorde to Paris. Same route back! LOL!! I can see all the snow I want from my Kitchen window, looking out at Big Bear! ROFLMSOAO!!

You got a "Deal", BTW!

I still love NY!
Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
18. March 2010 @ 01:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I haven't gone that low a bitrate yet. I have downloaded some samples that others have done on the web, and was unimpressed with the low bitrates. What I need, is a very short BD file I can experiment with. E.g. a 15-30 second clip, and to run some compressibility tests with that file. Than I can determine exactly what level I need :D If I could somehow extract that length with my own BD's that would be wonderful. Haven't found any software's capable of that yet. Though I haven't done much searching as of late LOL!

rick5446
_
18. March 2010 @ 02:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
omegaman7. They have a splitter for MKVs & mts U can split as large or small as U like
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
18. March 2010 @ 03:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by rick5446:
omegaman7. They have a splitter for MKVs & mts U can split as large or small as U like
LOL! That was gonna be my next kind of search. I'm a fairly avid googler. I just haven't gotten around to it ;) It's a shame that DVD Fab doesn't allow for stuff like that native. Dvd shrink has the ability to start/end frames. I've used that ability for testing divx capabilities.
Right now, organizing my work area is the top priority. I have a new printer/scanner in a box never opened, that I'm itching to use LOL!

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
18. March 2010 @ 04:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ha ha! I found something Called TSsplitter that did the trick. It doesn't seem to acknowledge the files when browsing for them, but when you force the file name, and open it, all is well.
Except a great deal of the rendered files are useless. But at least 2 of them are useful. I can use those to do some speedy encoding, and see which bitrate/Resolution is gonna do well :D

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
18. March 2010 @ 05:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I definitely gotta play some more LOL! The X264 codec is highly intelligent. I took it down to 1,000Kbps bitrate, and was astounded that it didn't look like complete crap! In fact, I could quite possibly be happy with 3,000Kbps, which is more than half what I've been using! I've been shooting for 7,000 plus, and sneering at anything less LOL! Divx...EAT YOUR HEART OUT LOL!

dr_ml422
_
18. March 2010 @ 08:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I was pointed to MeGUI as a conversion tool. Most will shy or stay w/Rebuilder/Super/RipBOT... etc.... for ease of use. I must say that after getting familiar w/it on some good and not so good videos it gets the job done.

MeGUI has a bitrate calculator that you can access from the "Tools" menu. You can play around with it to get a sense of the "average bitrate" that's needed for a good quality video. Just input say 2 hours at the top and then select different file sizes to see the average bitrate shown at the bottom. Most DVDs use anything from 5000 kbit/s to 8000 kbit/s. For the same video, DivX/XviD can give you near DVD quality at around 1600 kbit/s. For H.264, it's about 1100 kbit/s. So using these average bitrate, you can work out exactly how big the final output file should be given the time of the video (for example, select "Average Bitrate" and enter 1100, then enter the length of the video at the top, and the video file size should be shown at the bottom - you can then set this size in AutoEncode to ensure the video is of good quality).

It'll automatically do it for you now as far as inputting file size on top etc... you would just need to put in the bitrate you want and that's it.

Give it a try. You might like it being you're encoding to x264 which Blu-ray basically is.

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
18. March 2010 @ 16:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I was pointed to MeGUI as a conversion tool. Most will shy or stay w/Rebuilder/Super/RipBOT... etc.... for ease of use. I must say that after getting familiar w/it on some good and not so good videos it gets the job done.

MeGUI has a bitrate calculator that you can access from the "Tools" menu. You can play around with it to get a sense of the "average bitrate" that's needed for a good quality video. Just input say 2 hours at the top and then select different file sizes to see the average bitrate shown at the bottom. Most DVDs use anything from 5000 kbit/s to 8000 kbit/s. For the same video, DivX/XviD can give you near DVD quality at around 1600 kbit/s. For H.264, it's about 1100 kbit/s. So using these average bitrate, you can work out exactly how big the final output file should be given the time of the video (for example, select "Average Bitrate" and enter 1100, then enter the length of the video at the top, and the video file size should be shown at the bottom - you can then set this size in AutoEncode to ensure the video is of good quality).

It'll automatically do it for you now as far as inputting file size on top etc... you would just need to put in the bitrate you want and that's it.

Give it a try. You might like it being you're encoding to x264 which Blu-ray basically is.
I have megui. I heard of Ripbot as being simpler, and more entry level, so I gave it a shot. I wanted to learn some of the languages, before I tried something as intimidating as megui is. DVD rebuilder, and Photoshop also intimidated. Now I play with them, like they're everyday tools. I just wanted to ease into the Bluray scene ;)

Thanks for the info :D

dr_ml422
_
18. March 2010 @ 17:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Okie. Gets easier after playing w/it just like you said.

rick5446
_
18. March 2010 @ 23:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
MeGUI, Ive found this to be a lot faster then RipBOT or BDRebuilrer
Also SUPER is Excellent, I've made AVIs that look every bit as good as MKVs or BD
SUPER is a more hands on Software, U really have to dbl check everything
Its pretty good at controlling the size of file U want in any format.
dr_ml422
_
18. March 2010 @ 23:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Rick I can't see your reply a HP Ad is blocking me and won't leave. There are still some bugs in the new layout.

Ok now it went away after I replied. Yes MeGUI imo is the more advanced 1 to date and it's pretty darn good w/the output file as well. I'm very impressed w/it iissms.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 18. March 2010 @ 23:46

Advertisement
_
__

_
rick5446
_
19. March 2010 @ 00:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yep me too, But I've found myself using SUPER Quite a bit more,a little bit easier with the hands on [ manual settings ], so too speak. It's really pretty fast. I find it faster them MeGUI, with the same Quality
I get a lot of MKVs that are to big to convert to BD. Running them through tsMuxer adds about 300mb to the file as a BD Folder. So I use SUPER to reduce them to 3.9 gig, along with the 300mbs gives me a good size
Now if the Audio is DTS which is about 500mbs of a file size. I use Avidemux to convert it to AC3 Around 250 to 300 mbs which helps to reduce the size. To be perfectly honest I can't hear the significant difference in Quality between DTS & AC3
But we all have our own ways of doing things, whats most important is that we end up with something that can be played on a Stand Alone Player at anybodies house
Nice thing about super U can change the settings all on the same page. Just have to remember to highlight the imported file and right click for added features

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork