User User name Password  

Sunday 29.9.2024 / 17:38
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. June 2010 @ 19:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you just 'sploded my brain . . .

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
Advertisement
_
__
bratcher
_
21. June 2010 @ 07:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Fry's ad came out on the 18th & I just saw it today. Good till Thursday June 24th at store closing time.

HP +/- R 100 pack (non inkjet printable) $12.99 limit 1.

Ridata BD-R 15 pack Blu-Ray (non inkjet printable) $19.99 limit 1.
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. June 2010 @ 13:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Office Max . . . 100 Verbatim for $19.99

Staples . . . . . 100 Sony for $22.99

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. June 2010 @ 15:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:
Office Max . . . 100 Verbatim for $19.99

Staples . . . . . 100 Sony for $22.99
Thanks catfreak!! Good deals for sure!!

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
TreePro
_
22. June 2010 @ 02:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It was a sad thing to see the last spindle of Verbatim printable discs at my Sam's Club today. They looked so lonely surrounded by all the Momosucks. Would have bought it but, they was opened so I left them. Wonder if Memosucks will sell ? Does anybody know why Memorex has such a bad name? I see that CMC,Ritex,Moser baer,Mitsubishi, Prodisc, Richoh and infodisc have all made discs for them so why such a bad name? I have only used a couple in all of the discs I have used. Ones someone has brought to me to copy for them, I have never bought any yet. Maybe the ones that falls on the floor goes to Memorex.
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2010 @ 02:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by TreePro:
It was a sad thing to see the last spindle of Verbatim printable discs at my Sam's Club today. They looked so lonely surrounded by all the Momosucks. Would have bought it but, they was opened so I left them. Wonder if Memosucks will sell ? Does anybody know why Memorex has such a bad name? I see that CMC,Ritex,Moser baer,Mitsubishi, Prodisc, Richoh and infodisc have all made discs for them so why such a bad name? I have only used a couple in all of the discs I have used. Ones someone has brought to me to copy for them, I have never bought any yet. Maybe the ones that falls on the floor goes to Memorex.
TreePro,
As I recall, CMC made some DVDs for them that were so bad, Memorex almost went under. I bought some CMC/Memorex DVDs back about 4-5 years ago, and they were horrible. I've had to replace every one of them as they went bad real quick, and I store mine in a dark cool place! The Dyes still faded away and got funny looking!

Best Regards,
Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
22. June 2010 @ 02:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have some Memorex Cd's. Every last one of them has been good. But CD dyes are easy ;) I generally steer clear of Memorex Dvds. Maxell dvds have had some interesting results though. One of the best scans I had was a maxell disc. Dyes are important, but Burners capabilities are equally important ;)

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2010 @ 02:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by omegaman7:
I have some Memorex Cd's. Every last one of them has been good. But CD dyes are easy ;) I generally steer clear of Memorex Dvds. Maxell dvds have had some interesting results though. One of the best scans I had was a maxell disc. Dyes are important, but Burners capabilities are equally important ;)
Oman7,
I know CMC was known for a good while, as the Company that almost put Memorex out of business. Maybe that was a bit unfair, but the early one's they made for Memorex were junk! All mine got this gold speckled hue to them and they would skip or freeze up while playing, or refuse to play at all. Thankfully, I only bought a 25 pack, so I only had to replace those! I Haven't bought any recently though!

Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

TreePro
_
22. June 2010 @ 03:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by theonejrs:
Oman7,
I know CMC was known for a good while, as the Company that almost put Memorex out of business. Maybe that was a bit unfair, but the early one's they made for Memorex were junk! All mine got this gold speckled hue to them and they would skip or freeze up while playing, or refuse to play at all. Thankfully, I only bought a 25 pack, so I only had to replace those! I Haven't bought any recently though!

Russ
But now CMC makes them for Verbatim, all the Value line Verbatim I got from hhgreg are CMC and some from Compusa, some from Compusa was Ritex F1.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
22. June 2010 @ 03:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Gold speckles eh? I had something similar with Ritek discs. Their Taiwan discs were good, but there vietnam discs were bad, REALLY bad! LOL! They had a "Speckley" quality to them LOL! As well as green splotches on multiple discs...
Suffice to say, Ritek does not bode to well in my book...

AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2010 @ 03:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oman7,

Russ
But now CMC makes them for Verbatim, all the Value line Verbatim I got from hhgreg are CMC and some from Compusa, some from Compusa was Ritex F1.
TreePro,
True, but I think Verbatim supplies the dye formulation, so they are made to Verbatim's specs. Some companies fade into the woodwork and disappear, while others improve their quality and live on!

Russ

AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2010 @ 03:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Gold speckles eh? I had something similar with Ritek discs. Their Taiwan discs were good, but there vietnam discs were bad, REALLY bad! LOL! They had a "Speckley" quality to them LOL! As well as green splotches on multiple discs...
Oman7,
My last Ridata T03s were great. I bought the next batch of T03s, and half of them were F-16s. The T03s were fine, the F-16s sucked! I bought 100 of the "Improved" F-16s about 6 months ago, and they were so bad, I used the last of them to fill the space in the bunch of Yudens I sent to Rob! That's how little I thought of them!

Russ

TreePro
_
22. June 2010 @ 03:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My Niece gave me a 100 spindle of NEXXTECH they was made in China UME Disc Manufacturing ID UME02 sold by Circuit City and every disc had the speckles, change of color and freezing too. Worst discs I ever seen.
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2010 @ 03:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My Niece gave me a 100 spindle of NEXXTECH they was made in China UME Disc Manufacturing ID UME02 sold by Circuit City and every disc had the speckles, change of color and freezing too. Worst discs I ever seen.
TreePro,
That's exactly how I felt about the Memorexes!
They would complete the burn, but many of them wouldn't play as little as two weeks later! Some wouldn't even start. The drive would just sit there and hunt away! Tried both drives and an Asus DVD-Rom that would play a handful of Skittles, and no go!

Russ

Russ

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
22. June 2010 @ 03:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That's strange russ. It seems like I heard good reviews about the F-16s. Perhaps I'm confused, and the F-16's are the complete opposite. Now that I think about it, I think the F-16's are dire...

TreePro
_
22. June 2010 @ 03:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
TreePro,
That's exactly how I felt about the Memorexes!
They would complete the burn, but many of them wouldn't play as little as two weeks later! Some wouldn't even start. The drive would just sit there and hunt away! Tried both drives and an Asus DVD-Rom that would play a handful of Skittles, and no go!

Russ

Russ
It concerns in a few years our back ups will not play. All the money we tie up. Most of my discs are Verbatim printables from Sam's or Fugi Film made by Tayio Yuden so I don't worry so much on them but, in last couple months I have bought several hundred value line Verbatims. They don't say AZO dye on the package. I started appox. 12 years copying DVD's as my son way ADHD and he thought they was frisbies or something. The first ones still play ok.
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2010 @ 03:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That's strange russ. It seems like I heard good reviews about the F-16s. Perhaps I'm confused, and the F-16's are the complete opposite. Now that I think about it, I think the F-16's are dire...
Ridata offered to replace them. I asked if the replacements would be more F-16s. When they said yes, I declined!

Russ

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
22. June 2010 @ 04:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ridata offered to replace them. I asked if the replacements would be more F-16s. When they said yes, I declined!

Russ
Ha ha! Good! Maybe they'll start to understand. Or maybe not LOL! It's all about the money unfortunately. Though I can't imagine selling the F-16's is good P.R.

AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2010 @ 09:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Y'all make me LOL!!!! :p

Yep Memorex were dire discs at one time but I'm sure they didn't pay what others did for the blanks they had commissioned!!! :) I've used the CMC MAG AM3 version with great success and dare I say they are the best CMC MAG discs I've used. Of course my CMC MAG use is limited but hey they're good in my latest estimation!! :D

OH.. and btw I"m with Oman7 on the Riteks... I've only had success with the DVD+R 8x discs and the mini DVD-R's. :-O

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
JoeRyan
_
22. June 2010 @ 10:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Memorex never "nearly went out of business" because of optical discs. From 1998 until 2006 when Imation bought them, they continued to increase their market share so that they were has high as 75% of the CD-RW market in North America, 52% of the CD-R market, and 35% of the DVD+R/-R market. There were 125 employees world-wide with annual sales of nearly $300 million U.S. Of the top 25 retailers in the United States, Memorex was in 22 and outselling all the competition. In Europe things were quite a bit different, and Memorex was just another player in a crowded and tough market.

Memorex, part of Hanny Magnetics, purchased only first-line product from CMC (with whom they were equal partners in a CD-R factory), Ritek, Prodisc, and Infodisc. They paid the lowest price simply because of volumes and their cooperation with the manufacturers. For example, it was Memorex who developed the spindle pack, simplifying packaging costs enormously for the producers. Memorex was considered a "cash cow" for Hanny because the company brought in enormous amounts of money with very little investment--the real investment was in the people running it: the former head of Maxell in the U.S. and top sales and technical people from BASF. Memorex did have problems with surviving--but that was long before the introduction of the CD-R and before the new team took over around 1998.

Memorex makes an easy target partly because they are the largest target. In the past they did have quality problems with tape that cost them dearly--their metal tapes were bhe best on the market, but the public preferred TDK or Maxell because of their more stable reputations. Many of the accessories Memorex offered were a compromise between quality and cost, but their drives and their media were always the highest quality offered by the Taiwanese producers. (Hanny is a Hong Kong company.) CMC did have several bouts of production problems, however. A switch to a new ink-jet printable coating caused tilt problems for DVDs when the coating cured. That was quickly abandoned. A slow down in CD-R production in the summer of 2005 forced them to lay off people; and a sudden increase in demand late that autumn forced them to hire new employees who did not get sufficient training to avoid running into quality problems. When Memorex switched volume purchasing to Ritek, CMC cleaned up their act dramatically in order to win back the business.

I am not sure what the speckles are that you are seeing. There have been contamination problems with rewritable discs caused by deteriorating masks around the vacuum chambers, but the description of speckles sound more like oxidation of the polycarbonate layer. "Green splotches" could be imperfections in the cyanine dye or non-uniform coatings--unlikely with spin-coating. Oil contamination can cause a slight green/yellow tint to phthalocyanine dye and a greener tint to cyanine dye; and that type of contamination does tend to be "splotchy." More critical settings on the laser readers catch oil spots better than in the past, but only for surface contamination. The damage that occurs from slow chemical reaction is not usually caught by the factory--just as the tilt from the ink-jet coatings was not a problem until several months after the discs had been produced.

Another factor in a brand's reputation is the gossip, often false, that berates the quality of the brand. "Memorex nearly went out of business" may have been true in the late 1980s, but it is not at all relevant in any discussion about optical discs. There have been multiple issues with compatibility of Taiwanese discs and Japanese optical drives, mostly due to political squabbling. (I know of one Taiwanese DVD+R manufacturer whose discs were rejected for poor quality by a Japanese drive manufacturer--a month before any samples had been sent.) Market forces that moved both disc and drive manufacturing to Taiwan and to China resolved many of those problems. CMC discs, for example, are better quality than they used to be; but they are significantly more compatible than ever before, and that is the chief reason people are now praising them as good value.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. June 2010 @ 10:02

bratcher
_
22. June 2010 @ 10:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I bought one 50 pack of Nexxtech DVDr's just to try them out & the first few I tried didn't do so well at 16x but were fine at the 8x speed. Burned the rest of that single 50 pack as well as a single 50 pack of 16x Playo (also the same UME02 mid code) in a standalone DVD video recorder at 1x (realtime) & those movies I got off of the cable DVR are still playing back fine in a different DVD recorder (I wore out the other one) 6 months to a year later. I'm sure it's the low burn speed that helps here on what I knew was low quality media to begin with. But I normally stay away from low quality media in favor of the better quality media out there so hopefully my discs can still be read in the future.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
22. June 2010 @ 13:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
GM, I have 20+ Ritek Mini -R's. They have been 100% successful. But then, I burn them at 2.4X. They really shouldn't screw up at that speed LOL! I bought them because they were unusually cheap on Mwave a while back. Don't remember how much, but I couldn't refuse ;)

Interesting info JoeRyan ;)

AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2010 @ 19:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the info JoeRyan!! You always set us strait!! ;)

TreePro
_
22. June 2010 @ 21:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@Joe Ryan
What media do you like to use ? I have little experience with Memorex but, after what you said I may give it a try. I don't know how Memorex will beat the bad rap it has. On another post in this forum a guy asked about Phillips dual layer and one guy said "why do you people continue to ask about sh*t media" and then one guy told him to stay away from Memorex, lots of forums I visit hates Memorex. The only way I think they will sell is to do like Sam's Club and eliminate the competition, sell only Memorex. Which tends to make me not buy it even if it is good, I like a choice and not be forced a brand on. I don't buy anything Sony, not because of the quality of products but, because the way the company operates.
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2010 @ 23:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@Joe Ryan
What media do you like to use ? I have little experience with Memorex but, after what you said I may give it a try. I don't know how Memorex will beat the bad rap it has. On another post in this forum a guy asked about Phillips dual layer and one guy said "why do you people continue to ask about sh*t media" and then one guy told him to stay away from Memorex, lots of forums I visit hates Memorex. The only way I think they will sell is to do like Sam's Club and eliminate the competition, sell only Memorex. Which tends to make me not buy it even if it is good, I like a choice and not be forced a brand on. I don't buy anything Sony, not because of the quality of products but, because the way the company operates.
I too am not a fan of Sony. But when Sony was selling 8X +R DVDs, they were Taiyo Yuden T02s. "Excellentiest" media. And they were on sale often. Basically "don't cut off your nose to spite your face." I now happily will buy CMC Mags if the price is right. Thanks Guru Joe Ryan-now "Doc Mem"

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork