User User name Password  

Sunday 29.9.2024 / 21:34
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
12. August 2010 @ 18:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I did a little research into TY/JVC and came up with this.
March 2008, TY announced that they had purchased 65% of JVC's Optical branch. The sale was finalized Oct 1, 2008. Here's what it all means.

FYI:

"Microboards' flagship line of DVD and CD recordable media, manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, will now be sold under the name of JVC.

Chanhassen, MN April 15, 2009 -- Microboards' flagship line of DVD and CD recordable media, manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, will now be sold under the name of JVC.

Taiyo Yuden, known in the professional market for having the widest playback and recording compatibility and the lowest error rate of any optical media available, announced the change in March. Microboards Technology, which serves as the primary distributor for the United States and Canada, will continue to offer the same products, but with the new branding.

"This strategy will enable a product that is already known as the premium disc in the market to be adopted by media users who are looking for a reliable brand to purchase," says Mike Laven, Microboards' Vice President of Sales. "With the maturation of the optical media market, media users are becoming more discerning when it comes to the quality of media that they used to store their priceless family photographs and recordings."

The change will not affect availability, as there will be a seamless transition from the old Taiyo Yuden packaging to the new JVC packaging. "The only difference will be the name on the box and the part number," reports Laven. "We want the change to be pain-free for our current media users." Microboards will provide easy reference guides to substituting the new part numbers as they become available.

Available versions will not change, and include white and silver inkjet and thermal printable media, standard silver lacquer, and WaterShield, the revolutionary new glossy, water-resistant inkjet disc. "In addition, we hope to be announcing several new offerings over the next year," says Laven.

The product is being managed by a new company, JVC Advanced Media U.S.A., which is a joint venture between Victor Company of Japan and Taiyo Yuden. Questions or further information regarding the transition can be directed to 800.646.8881 or sales@microboards.com."

Everything stays the same except Microboards optical disk media that is manufactured by TY, will be marketed under the JVC Brand, and all JVC DVDs and CDs will be TY media. JVC should be the brand to watch! I know that all the results for JVC media I've seen here at AD with DVD media, have been very good.

Best Regards,
Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
12. August 2010 @ 19:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@Zoso

from what I've heard and read(not much of either)that the Blu-Ray blanks have not got much longevity yet! I'd wait. I am considering a reader and BD Rebuilder. Maybe Omegaman will chime in. DVD+R DLs have really gotten cheap.
AfterDawn Addict
_
12. August 2010 @ 21:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yeah I'm going to research it pretty good before i do anything. i want to make sure i do it right. if i wait a blu-ray reader and BD Rebuilder may bridge the gap till then

Antec 1200 Full-Tower Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Mobo/Western Digital Black WD500 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card/CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 /Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)/CORSAIR Hydro High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler/3-Asus DRW-24B1ST Sata Drives/Samsung 2493HM 24" LCD Monitior 1920x1200 resolution,5ms respone time/OS Windows 10 Pro SP1 64-bit
TreePro
_
12. August 2010 @ 21:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by theonejrs:
I did a little research into TY/JVC and came up with this.
March 2008, TY announced that they had purchased 65% of JVC's Optical branch. The sale was finalized Oct 1, 2008. Here's what it all means.

FYI:

"Microboards' flagship line of DVD and CD recordable media, manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, will now be sold under the name of JVC.

Chanhassen, MN April 15, 2009 -- Microboards' flagship line of DVD and CD recordable media, manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, will now be sold under the name of JVC.

Taiyo Yuden, known in the professional market for having the widest playback and recording compatibility and the lowest error rate of any optical media available, announced the change in March. Microboards Technology, which serves as the primary distributor for the United States and Canada, will continue to offer the same products, but with the new branding.

"This strategy will enable a product that is already known as the premium disc in the market to be adopted by media users who are looking for a reliable brand to purchase," says Mike Laven, Microboards' Vice President of Sales. "With the maturation of the optical media market, media users are becoming more discerning when it comes to the quality of media that they used to store their priceless family photographs and recordings."

The change will not affect availability, as there will be a seamless transition from the old Taiyo Yuden packaging to the new JVC packaging. "The only difference will be the name on the box and the part number," reports Laven. "We want the change to be pain-free for our current media users." Microboards will provide easy reference guides to substituting the new part numbers as they become available.

Available versions will not change, and include white and silver inkjet and thermal printable media, standard silver lacquer, and WaterShield, the revolutionary new glossy, water-resistant inkjet disc. "In addition, we hope to be announcing several new offerings over the next year," says Laven.

The product is being managed by a new company, JVC Advanced Media U.S.A., which is a joint venture between Victor Company of Japan and Taiyo Yuden. Questions or further information regarding the transition can be directed to 800.646.8881 or sales@microboards.com."

Everything stays the same except Microboards optical disk media that is manufactured by TY, will be marketed under the JVC Brand, and all JVC DVDs and CDs will be TY media. JVC should be the brand to watch! I know that all the results for JVC media I've seen here at AD with DVD media, have been very good.

Best Regards,
Russ
@ theonejr
Thank you for the research. Some still won't believe Taiyo Yuden bought controlling interest in JVC, or believe will be selling under JVC branding. Instead of vice versa. I did misspoke on Verbatim parent company but, I knew who bought them as I was mad as hell another great American company that started in North Carolina was sold overseas back in 1990. I did say 1991 earlier but, I do forget dates. I bet no one knew Eastman Kodak owned Verbatim(in the 80's) when Mitsubishi Kasei Corp bought them out either. Same as no one believes K-Mart a company coming out of bankruptcy bought SEARS and ROBUCKS, Yep K-Mart holding Corp bought Sears But they agreed to change their name to Sears holding Corp.
Thanks again for confirming that Taiyo Yuden DID buy JVC.
AfterDawn Addict
_
12. August 2010 @ 22:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
TreePro,
TY bought a 65% controlling interest in JVC's optical branch. It seems to me it was done to get Brand recognition for companies like Microboards that have great media (made by TY), but no one ever heard of them! It should give JVC a pretty good slice of the market, while the company's represented by this change have a big time, recognizable name to sell under. It should also cut down on fakes!

Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

TreePro
_
12. August 2010 @ 22:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by theonejrs:
TreePro,
TY bought a 65% controlling interest in JVC's optical branch. It seems to me it was done to get Brand recognition for companies like Microboards that have great media (made by TY), but no one ever heard of them! It should give JVC a pretty good slice of the market, while the company's represented by this change have a big time, recognizable name to sell under. It should also cut down on fakes!

Russ
That was my understanding from news I read to use JVC's distribution network and more poplar name and to expand sales coverage. Until recently I didn't know Microboards was made by Taiyo. I have seen them, I will try them now. I wish we could make the companies put the ID codes on packages but, I know that will NEVER happen. Have a great night!
AfterDawn Addict
_
12. August 2010 @ 23:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It seems I was wrong about bit-setting with the Asus DRW-24B1ST. The drive sets itself to DVD-ROM when you insert a +R DVD. You can't disable

Bit Setting -R

Bit Setting +R

I've confirmed this information at Myce, and they found out the same thing. See here:
http://club.myce.com/f87/asus-24b1lt-24b...000/index2.html

I am glad to hear this information. This is with firmware 1.03!

Russ

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
13. August 2010 @ 00:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by garmoon:
@Zoso

from what I've heard and read(not much of either)that the Blu-Ray blanks have not got much longevity yet! I'd wait. I am considering a reader and BD Rebuilder. Maybe Omegaman will chime in. DVD+R DLs have really gotten cheap.
Chimed in! LOL!

If you're referring to BD blanks, I can't wait til TY/JVC releases their BD discs. If and when they do, I'm sure consumers are gonna be flocking all about their media ;) Probably why they haven't released their version yet. They're aware of a longevity issue.
It seems like I heard of a medical grade Verbatim BD disc. I would assume they are the best. But they're also highly expensive ;)
I've also heard that the LTH(Low to high)discs should be good. I see a one year warranty on those on neweggs site. Makes me kind of nervous. But firmware is a issue with these discs. The firmwares still require revision to become perfect or close ;)

Honestly...I'd wait a bit longer. They're charging too much, and I haven't heard any promises about lifetime warranties on BD media :(

TY, help us!!! xD

@RUSS,
It's bitsetting -R to -Rom? Not good. My iHAP422 did that, rendering the discs useless...

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 13. August 2010 @ 00:06

AfterDawn Addict
_
13. August 2010 @ 00:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by omegaman7:
@Zoso

Chimed in! LOL!

If you're referring to BD blanks, I can't wait til TY/JVC releases their BD discs. If and when they do, I'm sure consumers are gonna be flocking all about their media ;) Probably why they haven't released their version yet. They're aware of a longevity issue.
It seems like I heard of a medical grade Verbatim BD disc. I would assume they are the best. But they're also highly expensive ;)
I've also heard that the LTH(Low to high)discs should be good. I see a one year warranty on those on neweggs site. Makes me kind of nervous. But firmware is a issue with these discs. The firmwares still require revision to become perfect or close ;)

Honestly...I'd wait a bit longer. They're charging too much, and I haven't heard any promises about lifetime warranties on BD media :(

TY, help us!!! xD

@RUSS,
It's bitsetting -R to -Rom? Not good. My iHAP422 did that, rendering the discs useless...
Oman7,
Not for me, as I prefer to use +R to begin with! I don't know why they would be useless as I've burned about 5 -R DVDs and there's no problem with them in any player or drive. They play fine???

Russ

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
13. August 2010 @ 00:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Interesting. I assumed that -R's should not be closed in such a way. Perhaps that drive was more doomed than I realized. For the longest time, I only trusted it with +R's, because they worked. But -R's did not. I assumed because the bitsetting. They played ok on the computer, but dvd players did not like the discs. No matter. That drive is either buried under several tons of dirt and rock, or it was sorted and recycled ;) Sent it to the dump a while back.

AfterDawn Addict
_
13. August 2010 @ 00:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Interesting. I assumed that -R's should not be closed in such a way. Perhaps that drive was more doomed than I realized. For the longest time, I only trusted it with +R's, because they worked. But -R's did not. I assumed because the bitsetting. They played ok on the computer, but dvd players did not like the discs. No matter. That drive is either buried under several tons of dirt and rock, or it was sorted and recycled ;) Sent it to the dump a while back.
Oman7,
Nope! I just went inside and popped in a -R copy of Alice in Wonderland in the 7 year old POS Emerson stand alone. Addresses quickly, and plays beautifully! This Emerson is so bad, it redefines cheap! It's put together like a puzzle, so that pieces lock together and only require 1 screw instead of several to hold each component in place. Now that's cheap! Incredibly, the 27" Flat CRT TV, Hi-Fi VHS VCR and the DVD player were $329 at Walmart. The really incredible part is that it uses the exact CRT as the far more expensive JVC and Mitsubishi models, which were the best of the best of 27" Flatscreen CRT TVs back in the mid 90s!

Russ

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
13. August 2010 @ 00:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
And it closes all your -R's as -Roms? Weird...

AfterDawn Addict
_
13. August 2010 @ 03:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
And it closes all your -R's as -Roms? Weird...
Oman7,
The first scans I posted with these drives included burns with both +R and -R media. They all Burned and scanned well. According to Nero Burning Rom 8, both +R and -R are shown as Book Type. I never knew this could be a problem. I've used both types of media, and I've never had anyone come back and complain that they wouldn't play. I guess it's not a problem then!

Russ

bratcher
_
13. August 2010 @ 03:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
FYI...

Sale till 8/28/2010.

Verbatim (97016) DataLife Plus White Inkjet Hub Printable 16X DVD-R Media 100 Pack in Plastic Wrap at Supermediastore.

100 pack $29.95
200 pack $52.99
600 pack $150.00

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u...o%20Save%20Big!
lwalker
_
13. August 2010 @ 07:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by dr_ml422:
Quote:
@ Iwalker Like mentioned in the previous posts the DVD+Rs for the most part load faster when you're ready to burn them. If you're using ImgBurn to burn then ImgBurn by default I think will bitset the DVD+r Blanks to DVD-R so that there's less chance of incompatibility on playback w/a given player/standalone.
@dr_ml422

The above statement is not all true. When a +R disc is bitset, it's to DVD-Rom and NOT DVD-R. The bit setting is done by the dvd burner,if capable, and not by ImgBurn. ImgBurn tells the burner to bit set the +R disc or the burner knows it's supposed to book type all +Rs to DVD_ROMs regardless of burning program used. Some burner are not out of the box capable of bit setting and must be upgraded with bit setting fw. :)
Ok. at least lwalker knows enough now to go get them and use ImgBurn if wanted. Thnx for the added info.
I do know know and appreciate everyone's help
Thanks so much
lwalker
lwalker
_
13. August 2010 @ 07:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by dr_ml422:
Quote:
@ Iwalker Like mentioned in the previous posts the DVD+Rs for the most part load faster when you're ready to burn them. If you're using ImgBurn to burn then ImgBurn by default I think will bitset the DVD+r Blanks to DVD-R so that there's less chance of incompatibility on playback w/a given player/standalone.
@dr_ml422

The above statement is not all true. When a +R disc is bitset, it's to DVD-Rom and NOT DVD-R. The bit setting is done by the dvd burner,if capable, and not by ImgBurn. ImgBurn tells the burner to bit set the +R disc or the burner knows it's supposed to book type all +Rs to DVD_ROMs regardless of burning program used. Some burner are not out of the box capable of bit setting and must be upgraded with bit setting fw. :)
Ok. at least lwalker knows enough now to go get them and use ImgBurn if wanted. Thnx for the added info.
I do know know and appreciate everyone's help
Thanks so much
lwalker
_
13. August 2010 @ 16:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Their BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TDK DVD+R 16X 4.7GB 150 Discs (3 - 50pk Spindles) - 48519-KIT - 3 for 1
Our Price:
$21.99
Shipping:
FREE @ BUY.COM also @ Buy.com TDK DVD-R 16X 4.7GB 150 Discs (3 - 50pk Spindles) - 48518-KIT - Sold out -They were
Our Price:
$34.24
Shipping:
FREE It seems Stupid To post a Sold out add ? I know but That's the best price they had on the TDK DVD-R's in the 3 pack since I've been watching their adds FWIW - ??? and no I don't work for Buy.com or TDK But I do like their sales !!!!!!! Cheers!!

FeetZ Up ! Head Down !
AfterDawn Addict
_
13. August 2010 @ 16:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@dr_l422

LWalker don't feel bad, Hell I didn't know a -R disc could be it bit set to DVD_ROM at all, much less that I shouldn't do it?LOL I don't think my burners are capable of that, 7240S or 20A1S. Learn something everyday.

@Toxy

Are those new TDK that are Ritek F 16s?
AfterDawn Addict
_
14. August 2010 @ 01:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
OK! Here's a Blank +R DVD scanned with DVD InfoPro.

Note that it says DVD+R. for both Book Type and Media Type.

Here's a Blank -R DVD scanned with DVD InfoPro.

Note that it says DVD-R for both Book Type and Media Type

After burning the +R it reads DVD-ROM as the Book Type, and DVD+R as the media type.

Here's what the burned -R says.

It also reads the Book Type as DVD-ROM. I can only assume that it means nothing as far as compatibility goes. I never had a complaint from anyone about one not playing in a Stand Alone Player, either +R or -R. I guess that's good to know, as I rarely ever buy -R DVDs.

Russ

lwalker
_
14. August 2010 @ 07:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@dr_l422

LWalker don't feel bad, Hell I didn't know a -R disc could be it bit set to DVD_ROM at all, much less that I shouldn't do it?LOL I don't think my burners are capable of that, 7240S or 20A1S. Learn something everyday.

@Toxy

Thanks- i sure do learn from this group and it is fun!
dr_ml422
_
14. August 2010 @ 12:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@dr_l422

@Toxy

I'm lmao! 1.Now I know why it isn't a bad thing to get as much info on anything related here so as to assure the best approach by anyone. I myself was shaking my head as to why all the specifics for bitsetting when all lwalker really wanted was great media etc... I had no clue that DVD-Rs get bitset to DVD-ROM either. So props to Russ for the extra mile.

2. I'm not going near anything else other than Verbs and Tys so thnx for the pull up BIG.

3. Now iwalker please burn some Verbs or TYs before anything. This way you have a solid measuring stick if you decide to play w/all the other B, C, D, E, F crap media.

Happy Burning!

SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F, SAMSUNG SH-S202J, PIONEER DVR 112D

Common Sense Aint Too Common Anymore.
_
14. August 2010 @ 14:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
quote,,,dr_ml422,,,Send private message to this user I'm not going near anything else other than Verbs and Tys so thnx for the pull up BIG.

That says it all right there, I for the life of me wonder why anybody would chose other brands, you never go wrong with those two.
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
14. August 2010 @ 14:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm ok using CMC mag discs. I haven't had any coasters. The first batch of TDK discs (CMC MAG) were good. I burned a great deal of those with my Sony DRU 820 and 830 drives. Good drives. Especially the 820. The 820, and my 7200S are the best readers I've ever had. The LH-20A1H is also quite good. Or at least it was. It won't read Transparent discs any more. Which tells me it's quite close to quitting :(

I finally opened my Newegg order. My verbatim discs were fashioned in United Arab Emir. EXACTLY where I wanted them to come from xD And they're 004 discs. I'm a very happy customer! These particular discs always give me lowww failures.
I've immediately bought more from the egg before, only to receive Taiwan discs. Which are also very good. But don't count on getting the United Arab Emir discs. They seem to be luck of the draw!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 14. August 2010 @ 14:22

_
14. August 2010 @ 14:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Omeg, I use to think the same way years back when this thread was first started, I argued with many saying the same thing, I would always say I never have trouble with my CMC mags, until years later they don't play anymore, it was a hard lesson to learn so heed the advise please, I thought I knew better, when doc ty was around he warned many of us about this, but no I didn't take his advise, that's what you get when you think your a smart ass, that was me some time ago, now I listen, it was a high price to pay, a lot of bucks and time wasted.
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
14. August 2010 @ 14:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Even companies learn from their mistakes. I would certainly hope they've bettered their media by now ;)

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > blank media sales (updated weekly, daily, hourly)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork